Entire can of Gumout fuel system cleaner in a tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, are there any problems with "overdosing" on fuel system cleaners in a motorcycle? I just acquired a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R that has set for awhile, it runs great but I'm doing some PM for the summer riding season and dumped a whole can of the new Gumout multi fuel systems cleaner in the tank which only holds 4 gallons... instructions on the can say 1oz per gallon in motorcycles and other small engines...

I usually always Overdose in my cars due to fuel volume and it never causes any issues, just worried it might in this EFI bike..

Been there and done that. It's going to keep your cylinders very wet. Don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

You can pull a plug after running this, and you'll find it is wet. Doesn't seem to be enough to shut down the engine, though.

Might do a good job cleaning up the pistons and rings. Who knows?

Don't use too much it can wet the plugs and misfire. Some solvent types of cleaner like Berrymans burn better and are not so much of a problem but PEA based ones tend to be not as flammable.
I put a full bottle of Redline in a Vmax once.
33.gif
I had to drain the tank and feed it to it a gallon at a time with 3 gal of fresh fuel.

Not all Gumouts are the same. What is the exact name of the one you used. Was it in a Seafoam-like bottle? The multi-system Tuneup?

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Use berrymans B12 instead.
Double dose.

I am NOT an expert and just asking for clarity, I have seen on many moto forums they say that B12 can damage rubber components, like fuel line and all if it stayed for long?
confused.gif

Does it have any reality in it?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Double dose.

I am NOT an expert and just asking for clarity, I have seen on many moto forums they say that B12 can damage rubber components, like fuel line and all if it stayed for long?
confused.gif

I have heard similar, but I don't know the basis/experience upon which the claims were made.

I do know this, however, a while back, I ran a high dose of B12 in my Fusion.. Tank was down to about 2 gallons, and I was driving home from work. Put about 1/2 a can of B12 in with it (roughly 7-8 oz, or approximately 4x the normal dose. Went through about 1.5 gallons of the 2 gal in there driving home from work. When I finally stopped at the gas station, I had about 9 miles left to empty (approximately). Filled the tank, bringing the remaining B12 dose down to well below recommended limits.

That was about 20,000 miles ago, and I have noticed an overall (albeit somewhat small) increase in the MPG I get in the car since. No ill effects otherwise.

One can of B12 is 15 oz, and they recommend using a full can for 15-21 gallons, and that if your tank has under 15 gallon capacity, dose at 1oz per gallon. If you do plan to run a higher dose in your bike, I suggest you insure you have a long enough drive ahead of you to burn through MOST of it, and then refill the tank to bring the dose down. If you stay under the 1oz/1gal ratio, you should be fine leaving it in.

A double dose of B12 wont damage anything as long as you run it through. Because of the solvents in it i wouldnt leave it in a MC tank for months but if you can burn a tank in a week you will be fine.

As others mentioned I wouldnt use a whole bottle of Gumout with PEA, only the recommended amount.

Last edited:
My mechanic warned me to be careful what fuel system cleaner I use in bikes because some can dissolve the mesh fuel pump screen. Pretty sure that bike has one--I had a 1st gen Ninja 650R in the past. Couldn't tell you the actual risk of damaging the screen, but I'm curious to learn more if anybody here knows. I mostly just use Seafoam on bikes.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Double dose.

confused.gif

I’m not an expert either but it worked for me with severe small engines.
Just don’t let it sit long. Use the tank and move on.

Been riding the last few evenings with it in a full tank of Chevron 89 and its doing fine. I'd like to burn through the tank much faster but the torrential rains down here in Central Florida have put a damper on my rides...

And yes, it was the SeaFoam lookalike "Multisystem tuneup" with PEA

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I run TC-W3 in the fuel...Here's the 500 Rubicon after 10 years on it.

Does any 2-stroke oil work, like the cheap Supertech I put in my weed wacker, or does it have to be TC-W3?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I run TC-W3 in the fuel...Here's the 500 Rubicon after 10 years on it.

Also, what dose? Can this be used in a regular 4 stroke motorcycle?

Thats clean for sure! As much as I like a dose of TCW-3 in my diesel, I doubt that tiny amount in your Rubicon can be attributed to that clean piston. It is likely Honda's very efficient design and the use of good fuel and maintenance on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back