Sea Doo/Rotax 900 ACE oil capacity only 2 qts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just purchased a SeaDoo with the 900 ACE engine. 2 quarts of oil?!?!?!? that seems low for 899 cc. also, they recommend a synth blend for summer, and full synth for winter (snowmobiles with that engine). nice marketing trick also - the BRP XPS oil does not list viscosity on the bottle; only "summer oil" - but it appears to be 5w-40 by Castrol.

as far as capacity; I'm sure it's fine - BRP does tons of testing. but simply comparing it to motorcycles, my 650 holds 3 qts, my 1300 = 4 qts.

Yeah, that’s not confidence inspiring...it would have me checking oil on my PWC much more often than typical users do (I.e. never, because it’s inconvenient)!

I’d imagine this is mostly a packaging issue: even my Nautique with a 5.8L/351 cu in engine only has a capacity of 4 1/2 quarts. Oil pan must be shallow, due to relatively flat hull shape.

Are you rocking a Spark or GTI/GTS? It would be great if you’d check in every now and then to report on how the ACE motor is doing in this application, along with the non-fiberglass hull.

It's the GTI SE. I struggled over spark, gti 90 and gti 155.
My boys are aggressive riders so I thought it best to start lower, plus our lake is small. That, plus nephews.... those knuckleheads took off with the boat still tied to the dock....

I will report back.....

Last edited:
In snowmobile applications, BRP specs an 0W-40 for the 600 & 900 ACE.

Operated and left out in well below freezing ambiant temps, these engines have
no backup pull cord to start if the battery/starter can't turn over the engine.

Myself have a 600 ACE in a Skidoo Tundra snowmobile,
oil capacity is also a little over 2 quarts.

Great engine: very quiet, torquey, incredible fuel mileage.
Downside is the added weight and complexity under the cab versus the lighter 2-stroke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Arctic388
may i ask how do you like the GTI 900 ? I just bought a GTI 130 and GTI 155 and now that i have ridden both the 130 is enough for my type of riding.

sorry for the delayed response - we just started using it last week. in "power" mode, it's pretty quick; and from what I hear, is has nearly the same acceleration from 0-40 as does the 130. we are on a smaller lake, so top speed is not a concern. although I am very happy cruising at 30mph. it is certainly accelerates very well to do twisties and figure 8's. we used it to pull a gyro tube. it was very well suited for that!

we have been averaging less than 4 gph fuel consumption, which is pretty good compated to the rentals we have used in the past. we will get a second machine next summer. I was initially figuring a 155 or 230, but the boys are asking for a spark, so that's probably the way we will go.

Last edited:
So I just picked up one of these. According to the manual the total capacity is 3.6 quarts... Which is more than generous for an engine this size, especially when you consider there's no transmission like on a motorcycle.

You only get 2 quarts (actually 2.12) out on an oil/filter change. The nature of a dry sump engine only 60% of the oil gets changed!

You can get more oil out by placing engine in "drown" mode. (hold throttle wide open and crank) so there is no spark Hit starter for 5-10 secs and then pump out the oil that was just moved into the sump. Repeat 3-4 times

Dunno about emptying out the galleries. On the real startup, she's gonna run dry for a bit. I think it's better to change as usual and more often.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Dunno about emptying out the galleries. On the real startup, she's gonna run dry for a bit. I think it's better to change as usual and more often.

Its a dry sump engine with front and rear oil pumps, and has a lower oil pan you cannot access with your Mityvac. Crank the engine over to fill the upper oil pan and get the oil oil out. Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back