For Those Who Can Drive a Manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: old1
A 1947 Chevy and a 1928 Model A

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
Did you appreciate the synchronizers in the Chevy?

I learned on a 1973 Ford Maverick...3-on-the-tree and 200c.i. (3.2L) inline six.

I learned to drive a standard on Mom's 1954 Chevrolet Bel Air equipped with a stove-bolt six and a three on the tree. No power anything and no oil filter either!

Dirt bikes since age 7, so the first manual was a non issue. It was a Formula Vee race car in the High School parking lot. Unfortunately, my skill level never passed the 80% level and I was never competitive in race cars of any sort. Still a natural on a dirt bike though.

WernerHannelore-OlympicFormelV19690801-1.jpg

Last edited:
First learning using my dads car 2002 Hyundai Trajet GL8 and now my car is 2014 Toyota Innova D4D 2.5, all manuals

1962 International Pickup. I was 14 and I started driving so I could go cut fire wood by myself. How much fun can a kid have: a pickup and a chain saw!

1952 Ferguson tractor when I was 6, and not heavy enough to depress the clutch and brake simultaneously.

First road-vehicle shifting practice, while still under-age, was one mile in a 1959 Rambler Classic 3-on-tree (which made the same clanking noises as Ford manuals).

First extensive practice in the 1954 Chevy One-Fifty below, while my parents still owned it.

First proper 4-speed (besides the Ferguson and my parents' 3+granny F-100), the Subaru below.

First 5-speed, the Mazda below.

Two very different 2×4=8 speeds, a 1968 IH 444 tractor, and a circa 1980 Plymouth (Mitsubishi) Colt.

Nash metropolitan convertible at 10 years old in ranchers trails. Then later bought 1960 Austin Healy Bug Eyed Sprite, a Triumph Spitfire,a Mazda RX7, and a Ferrari 308GTSi

Last edited:
I learned the basics of clutch operation, and later clutchless speed shifting, on a beater 250cc Honda Rebel motorcycle. Later on my dad had a 5 speed 85 4 cylinder Cherokee that I cut my teeth on, so to speak. My first manual transmission car was an 88 Tempo

I learned on several vehicles. The basics on old farm tractors and then on a friend of the family's old Datsun pick-up. Owned a couple manual transmission vehicles of my own when I was younger. I wouldn't want one for a daily driver now but would definitely have one in a performance vehicle if I bought one.

1988 VAZ 2163, power nothing, not even a radio. Got it down by the age of 6.
Poor 1.5L 4 banger ran on 76 octane gas, that is until my dad got a source of 120 octane to spike it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back