Do You use a fuel additive ? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: andyd
I used to use Regane. Only once did I notice a "regain" So I stopped using it as a preventative and only use it if I suspect a clogged injector?

That exactly how you don't want to use these products. That's closing the door after the horse got out, once the injectors are that dirty or worse clogged they are very difficult to clean with anything in the rail/line or through the tank.
While it is true that Top Tier negates the value of these products somewhat it does not eliminate them from a maintenance plan.

Pre Top Tier engines running in used cars can still benefit from these products as the deposits they may have accumulated may be too difficult to remove with the amount found in gasoline only.
Ironically Top Tier still turns to varnish when left long term, PEA does not seem to prevent it or remove it very well, neither does alcohol, in fact the hygroscopic nature of alcohol is one of the main cause of internal injector corrosion.

Older pintel style injectors have a unique problem of needle and bore wear that Top Tier does not address, they can benefit greatly from a cleaner with a lube and corrosion protector like Redline SI-1 that even in small amounts per tank can prevent a whole host of issues.

Hypothetically a new non DI engine running a good Top Tier fuel like Shell or BP (yes there is a difference in additive amounts even with Top Tier) then you probably don't benefit much from these products but at the cost it still does no harm to run a bottle once or twice a year if for nothing more than preventive maintenance.

DI engines IMO benefit from PEA based products, from my experience with them they do accumulate deposits in the tip despite Top Tier. Rant over.

49.gif

Thanks for this informative comment. My Mazda owners manual states to not use fuel additives yet I keep hearing and reading how beneficial they are for GDI engines like my 2.5. In your opinion would it hurt to run a maintenance amount of Redline? I am using Shell 91 octane as it runs better on that versus the 87.

Always use top tier fuel and throw in a cleaner once a year.

I throw a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner in my Baja "every" 3000 miles. The Baja gets nothing but the cheapest 87 octane I can purchase. I also throw a bottle of Techron in my sisters Acura TL every 3000 miles -- she runs nothing but Sunoco 91 octane.

Dale

I use mobile or exxon gas, and stp gas treatment when something doesn't feel right. Like rough idle or surging etc. If I had a V8 I would never feel symptoms.

I try to always use Top Tier gas
and usually a bottle of Techron once a year.

MMO (4oz per 10 gallons) every tank in the cold winter months

Originally Posted By: jorton
I use mobile or exxon gas, and stp gas treatment when something doesn't feel right. Like rough idle or surging etc. If I had a V8 I would never feel symptoms.

I’ve been in a number of V8 powered cars back in the seventies and eighties that you could definitely feel the rough running engine. Carburetors were finicky if not kept clean and cheap foam floats took on gasoline and slowly sank. Theses were just a couple of the issues that happened regularly. Today’s cars run much more reliably than the V8’s of then.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
TCW-3 640:1 every fill up.

+1

Here's the Honda 500 after 10 years on it...in all my 4 strokes.

Wow. I have to start making sure everything gets TC W3.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
[ In your opinion would it hurt to run a maintenance amount of Redline? I am using Shell 91 octane as it runs better on that versus the 87.

A couple of ounces per tank will be fine IMO, don't go hog wild it doesn't take much to keep things in good order.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: PimTac
[ In your opinion would it hurt to run a maintenance amount of Redline? I am using Shell 91 octane as it runs better on that versus the 87.

A couple of ounces per tank will be fine IMO, don't go hog wild it doesn't take much to keep things in good order.

Thanks. The CX5 only has a 15 gallon tank so I would stay conservative on the amounts.

Since any top tier gas station is either way more expensive and/or not nearby I use an additive every few tankfuls in our vehicles.
I do notice a slight increase in MPG after doing so. Same 70 mile trip when I check it.

In my vehicles, I use Gumout's All-in-one treatment once a year just to keep the fuel system clean.

In my motorcycle and small equipment, I use K100G or Biobor EB fuel treatments. They both stabilize the fuel, remove any moisture that may have gotten in, keep the fuel system clean and provide some lubrication to make up for the 10% ethanol that is mandated by law here.

I usually use Techron every so often, occasionally Regane. No fixed usage pattern, maybe once per oil change. I think fuel injectors could really stand a cleaning every so often and have read evidence that PEA products actually work, although maybe I'm overdoing it as I almost always run Top Tier fuels.

My wife buys the cheapest gas possible and told me recently that her Avalon is feeling sluggish, so I really want to run a bottle of Techron through it to see if it helps.

I used Techron once in my BMW when it had a rough idle, but it turned out to be a pushed-back pin in one of the injector connectors. Other than that I've never used one and to be honest I don't see the need. People say it keeps stuff "clean" but when questioned about how they know this it always turns out to be speculation. Without a system to compare it against how would you know it does anything at all? The times I've had my fuel system apart on all my high-mileage cars it has looked clean despite no additional additives besides what is already in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I've never used a fuel additive because I've never needed one. Driving since 68.
. Well you have actually unless you refine your own fuel. All gasoline in the us at least has some additives in it at every single gas station. What you have done is not add any more than already are included. How much additives and which vary by station, if they are top tier etc.. though there is some in your fuel.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I used Techron once in my BMW when it had a rough idle, but it turned out to be a pushed-back pin in one of the injector connectors. Other than that I've never used one and to be honest I don't see the need. People say it keeps stuff "clean" but when questioned about how they know this it always turns out to be speculation. Without a system to compare it against how would you know it does anything at all? The times I've had my fuel system apart on all my high-mileage cars it has looked clean despite no additional additives besides what is already in the fuel.
. You don't see the need for additives yet then later you say what's already in the fuel. How you drive, how the vehicle was designed where you happened to fuel as they all are not the same. So depending on what the fuel you receive plus those variables could make it helpful to some and not to others. Most people do not have to facilities time and ability to verify effect by disassembly, borescope . You would have to wait until a problem is blatant to notice. So it would be very difficult to gage preventative use of a product as the issues would be slowly developing.

If I can get it I'll use redline, if not gumout high mileage regane, all in one or Techron. Usually once a year maybe twice depending on my driving that year.

Originally Posted By: purelux
You don't see the need for additives yet then later you say what's already in the fuel. How you drive, how the vehicle was designed where you happened to fuel as they all are not the same. So depending on what the fuel you receive plus those variables could make it helpful to some and not to others. Most people do not have to facilities time and ability to verify effect by disassembly, borescope . You would have to wait until a problem is blatant to notice. So it would be very difficult to gage preventative use of a product as the issues would be slowly developing.

OK so I'll reword it to say a fuel additive beyond what is already in the fuel - one purchased in the store in a separate bottle.

The rest of your comments I agree with. How does one know it does any good then on a preventative basis?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
TCW-3 640:1 every fill up.

+1

Here's the Honda 500 after 10 years on it...in all my 4 strokes.

Well [censored]. That’s impressive.

CT's house brand FI cleaner has PEA; and goes on sale 50% off 3-4 times a year. I grab a bottle and run it when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back