ROKU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a TCL TV with ROKU and I know most people use WiFi to connect to it.

Can I use Cable internet to connect to ROKU using my modem ?

What channels are worth subscribing to and what do they cost?

Does your modem also include a wi-fi router? Or do you have a separate wi-fi router that connects to your cable modem? Connecting Roku to a wi-fi router would probably be the easiest.

If your TV has an Ethernet port, then you could use an Ethernet cable to connect it to your modem/router as well.

As far as channels, there are a lot of free ones out there. From the paid ones, we use the usual... Netflix and AmazonPrimeVideo.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does your modem also include a wi-fi router? Or do you have a separate wi-fi router that connects to your cable modem? Connecting Roku to a wi-fi router would probably be the easiest.

My Modem and Router are seperate...the other day I hooked my Modem up to the TV and tried to connect to ROKU and got a error code 009.
Note: I have not subscribed to ROKU yet.

Connect your TV to the router, not modem, and then follow your TV's network connection instructions. My guess is that once your TV connects to your home network, you will be able to set up the ROKU app without issues.

I was given a Router and never used one before.
I need to sign up for WiFi thru Comcast...right ?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I was given a Router and never used one before.
I need to sign up for WiFi thru Comcast...right ?

No. You just need to connect it to your modem and configure it. No need to sign up for anything additional.

I have 3 roku's, I connect with wifi and ethernet cable. My roku ultra uses ethernet and my rokutv and stick on wifi.

PlutoTV has the best free live tv, best guide and VOD to some extent. It may not be exactly what you are looking to what but its 100% free. I use apps on my Roku and over the air tv for everything.

Will it work if I hook up the Router to the Modem while the Modem is connected to the computer that is in another room?

Will it work if I hook up the Router to the Modem while the Modem is connected to the computer that is in another room?

No. The router should be the only device connected to the modem. You can connect that computer in another room to the router using the same ethernet cable.

What kind of modem do you have?

I have fiberoptic at my house, the service comes with an all in 1 modem/router that has 5 ethernet cable ports out.

No. The router should be the only device connected to the modem. You can connect that computer in another room to the router using the same ethernet cable.

So your saying ROKU only works with WiFi and since I have cable internet....I need both a modem and a router to convert cable data to WiFi data ?

So your saying ROKU only works with WiFi and since I have cable internet....I need both a modem and a router to convert cable data to WiFi data ?
No, that is not what I am saying. Some ROKU players can connected using a physical network ethernet cable as well.
What I am saying is that you need a router in order to be able to SHARE the internet connection among multiple devices (ROKU, your PC, your smartphone, etc.). That is assuming that your modem does not already have a built-in router. How many ethernet ports does your cable modem have? Just one or more?

So yes in that case you need the router.

You connect the modem to the router with an ethernet cable and then use the ethernet that was plugged into the modem for your computer and plug it into one of the ports on the router. If you want you can run more ethernet cables and hard wire the roku tv or use wifi if the router has wifi capability.

What is the make & model of the router?

Does your Roku TV have an Ethernet port like the ones on the modem and the router? Some can connect by Ethernet or WiFi, some lack the Ethernet port and must use WiFi only. If Ethernet is equipped and it is practical to run an Ethernet cable to the TV location, that tends to give more reliable performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
What is the make & model of the router.

It's a Netgear WNR2000 with 4 ports.

Plug router into arriss box and turn on tv to set wireless.

You can get telvised channels on Directv $35/month and with $25 hd antena get some free local channels.

Google Roku setup and find all you need.

I can watch direct TV on computer while wife watches other directv in other room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back