Thoughts on the STP Extended Life Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever tried them or use them regularly? These, along with STP Motor Oil are what my mechanic stocks so I'm curious.. Thanks in advance!

Running one right now. No complaints so far. IIRC, it's good for 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Great to hear.. Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably be using that myself on my 2017 Jeep Patriot.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Curious... Do you also use STP Motor Oil? If so, which one and how do you like it?

Thanks all for the replys!.. Just bought a new(ish) 2017 Jeep Patriot with 9,700 miles on her and I'll be using 5W20 STP SYN Full Synthetic oil with the STP Extended Life filter... Been hearing good things about both.

Last edited:
This may not apply to spin-ons, but the cartridge filters I see at the local AutoZone look very much like Chinese Frams in their two lower price levels, and like a Purolator at their top level.

The previous AZ STP XL was made in S Korea by Daewha and had an ISO rating of 99%>20um. Though regular price compared to equivalent tier filters like FU was/is higher, post use anecdotes posted here of them looked good. No popular 7317 application either. Seemed best purchased as part of AZ oil/filter promo.

Newest XL on AZ shelves now have China coo, efficiency rating is no longer on box. Not sure who's making them now.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The previous AZ STP XL was made in S Korea by Daewha and had an ISO rating of 99%>20um. Though regular price compared to equivalent tier filters like FU was/is higher, post use anecdotes posted here of them looked good. No popular 7317 application either. Seemed best purchased as part of AZ oil/filter promo.

Newest XL on AZ shelves now have China coo, efficiency rating is no longer on box. Not sure who's making them now.

During one of Auto Zone's fairly recent oil & filter specials, some time after Christmas, I picked up Mobil 1 and the STP XL 16 oil filter. That STP oil filter was made in the USA. The recent Auto Zone oil & filter special was a better deal, it was Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for less than the previous Mobil 1 oil and STP oil filter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
.... I picked up Mobil 1 and the STP XL 16 oil filter. That STP oil filter was made in the USA.....

Are you sure it was/is the XL (Extended Life) and not the newer STP MaxLife (ML)? The latter is made in the US by M&H Purolator. Haven't seen a made in the US AZ STP XL, at least in this area.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
.... I picked up Mobil 1 and the STP XL 16 oil filter. That STP oil filter was made in the USA.....

Are you sure it was/is the XL (Extended Life) and not the newer STP MaxLife (ML)? The latter is made in the US by M&H Purolator. Haven't seen a made in the US AZ STP XL, at least in this area.

My bad, You're right, sorry. The filter is a "Maximum Life" oil filter, S16ML. It says "engineered to last up to 15,000 miles", that fooled me. What is the difference between STP ML and XL oil filters? Thanks,

Whimsey

Just an FYI...both the XL and the MaxLife lines have multiple suppliers now. You'll see differences at the store level as certain suppliers are covering certain areas. The MaxLife product will no longer be produced by MH. As the current stock runs out...you'll see changes at AZ across the board on the STP product including the STP Blue line.

Big difference between XL and MaxLife construction is XL is a blend media while MaxLife is 100% synthetic. XL is rated for 10k miles vs. 15k for MaxLife...whatever that means...like most marketing claims in my opinion...not much. It will drive price though!

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Big difference between XL and MaxLife construction is XL is a blend media while MaxLife is 100% synthetic. XL is rated for 10k miles vs. 15k for MaxLife...whatever that means...like most marketing claims in my opinion...not much. It will drive price though!

Marking claims these days aren't just pulled out of the air or other places. Reputable companies have based those claims on some kind of technical information and test measurements.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Marking claims these days aren't just pulled out of the air or other places. Reputable companies have based those claims on some kind of technical information and test measurements.
Unless they're made by Chinese manufacturers, with no accountability-these aren't Ultras we're talking about here, or even any other American manufactured filter. I have a couple of the STP XL filters myself, but I wouldn't run them for 20K (like I have an Ultra)!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Unless they're made by Chinese manufacturers, with no accountability-these aren't Ultras we're talking about here, or even any other American manufactured filter. I have a couple of the STP XL filters myself, but I wouldn't run them for 20K (like I have an Ultra)!

STP is a well known US based company ... so I'd think they aren't going to be making stuff up in terms of performance claims. The STP MaxLife is rated up to 15K (which a pretty decent), so no reason to run it to 20K.

Hannibal who then is going make the AZ oil filters?? Blue?? XL?? Maxlife?? I'm very curious.

Exactly and i want to know who is making STP blue filters and the xl and maxlife lineup

Originally Posted By: car51

Exactly and i want to know who is making STP blue filters and the xl and maxlife lineup

Not certain how accurate this info is, but i read somehwre (don't remember which board / forum it was ) that the STP blue oil filter is essestially a WIX filter... Who knows..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back