do you change WIFI name (SSID) a LOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
like the title states, do you change your WIFI network name SSID a lot? or at all? Please vote and and state the name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not at all. Why would I need to?

My exact thoughts. I live out in the burbs. About 5 of my neighbors might be able to get a signal on my wifi. I have a secure password. What could go wrong.

No never change it. If you change it, then all the devices will have to be changed to automatically connect to it.

Never. Not even when I was in a large apartment complex. Hackers and thieves don't care about a home network. If they are going to risk getting caught, its going to be trying to catch a big fish, like a retail network.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
like the title states, do you change your WIFI network name SSID a lot? or at all? Please vote and and state the name.

So whats your SSID? Paranoid to answer?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Why would I invite being a target.

Why would I invite being a target.

So why did you ask others to post theirs?

I run multi SSID, main 2 being Pluto and Pluto-Guest.
How will that info make me more of target, considering they are not hidden and are discoverable ?

Haven't changed the SSID and password in over ten years. I've gone through several wireless equipment and carried the same info to the new wireless router. Don't want to deal with reconfiging every wireless device. I'm not the paranoid type to worry about wireless security or people "wardriving" to get into my network.

The OP possibly posed the topic in an attempt to find out where certain members live. Wardrivers input data into a database with GPS coordinates.
So if someone responded my SSID is "Kendall10W30", the OP can dig deeper and potentially see your house on Google Maps.

The OP possibly posed the topic in an attempt to find out where certain members live. Wardrivers input data into a database with GPS coordinates.
So if someone responded my SSID is "Kendall10W30", the OP can dig deeper and potentially see your house on Google Maps.

Good point, thank you. Why else would he ask for others and then call himself a "target" if he gave out his own?

This thread needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back