Hyundai - Kia warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Kias (and Hyundais for that matter), is that most of their buyers don’t do maintenance. The cars are abused and basically treated as disposable. My mother in law bought an Optima new in 2004. I’ve been doing her maintenance after the warranty expired. It’s still in very good condition. The hood paint is in rough shape, but mainly because she parked it under a tree for years without washing or waxing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
The problem with Kias (and Hyundais for that matter), is that most of their buyers don’t do maintenance. The cars are abused and basically treated as disposable. My mother in law bought an Optima new in 2004. I’ve been doing her maintenance after the warranty expired. It’s still in very good condition. The hood paint is in rough shape, but mainly because she parked it under a tree for years without washing or waxing it.

And all Chinese tires are bad. And Crown Vics with Michelins installed is the best thing in the world.

I just love these BITOGisms.........Here is an interesting article-
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai...x-20170616.aspx

Last edited:
In theory, records are not needed for the warranty to be honored, and the manufacturer can avoid it only if they can show that the failure to change oil on schedule was the proximate cause of the failure.

Dealers don't like to do warranty work since they get quite a bit lower labor rate reimbursement from the manufacturer. And they don't particularly like doing it on old cars that they never saw before and are unlikely to see again either for a new purchase or for future repair work.

However, the warranty is the warranty whether the dealer wants to do it or not.

Last edited:
If it is a manufacturer's warranty the dealer has to honor it. if it is a 3rd party insurance policy it's up to the underwriter.

I don't know of any Hyundai Corp extended warranties.

The problem with Kias (and Hyundais for that matter), is that most of their buyers don’t do maintenance...

Which is a shame, because I can attest at one time, most of their models were easy in terms of DIY maintenance. My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 2.7L V6, 4spd auto was one of them. Drain plugs and easy refills on every fluid/lube.

Wow...Talk about a blanket statement based on 1980s demographic perceptions ( or realities ). I specifically bought my 2013 Hyundai with the knowledge that it was particularly easy to work on in terms of oil changes and routine maintenance that's within the realm of the shade tree mechanic. I doubt that current H/K cars are somehow outside the curve with regards to maintenance and upkeep by the average buyer. I'm sure all the Optima and Sonata buyers out there go for the 25K mile OCI and pee in their radiators if someone's in the outhouse.

I have both a Hyundai and a Kia. Love them, highly recommend - especially the Accent/Rio if you are looking for a city car. Since Kia poached the lead designer from Audi years ago he entirely remade their lineup and has done an incredible job. Now he's VP of the Hyundai/Kia group and both companies are running neck and neck with the big Japanese heavyweights. Vastly overlooked and Kia finished in the top 6 of consumer report reliability rankings beating all domestic auto makers and only behind Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Audi, and the number one car company...Genesis...the luxury arm of Hyundai.

Beat that with a stick.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If it is a manufacturer's warranty the dealer has to honor it. if it is a 3rd party insurance policy it's up to the underwriter.

I don't know of any Hyundai Corp extended warranties.

https://www.hmfusa.com/hpp-mechanical-Coverage

I purchased a brand new 2011 Sonata in May of 2010. Drove it for 5 years/70,000 miles. After 5 recalls, a thermostat failure, more interior rattles than I could count, an engine that was using 1qt of oil every 800 miles, door latches that didn't want to latch below 30 degrees F, a serpentine belt that squealed when driving through a puddle followed by a battery warning light [normal according to the dealer], and an automatic transmission that would occasionally shift so hard it would give you whiplash, I was not sad to trade the Sonata.

The Hyundai dealer really wanted me to get another Sonata, and I did test drive a 2015 2.0T Sport just to give them a chance. The dealer actually said to me "we know your 2011 Sonata was not the most reliable car for you, but we believe the 2015 will be a better car for you in every way." Despite offering $5,000 off it wasn't enough to get me to stay with Hyundai.

My current Chevy, while not perfect, has been much easier to live with in the first 3 years/37,500 miles than the Hyundai was at the same point in time.

The Sonata always seemed like it was only 95% fully engineered. There were always little things about it that seemed incomplete or not fully thought out.

Wonderful cars. As many have attested, the 10/100 was mostly a thing of the past as they needed to break out to compete with Japan and domestics. They stick with it now as it's a great gimmick, but for the last decade or more the lead design teams have almost all been German or European and came with pedigrees from the VW Group, Lambo, and the design world. The quality has gone through the roof (compared to before) and I think one can argue they are now running with most of the Japanese market - certainly competitive anyway.

I have a 15 year old Accent. It's not even close to the new stuff, but it's been a dependable ride. It carries on as I do most of the work myself at this point, but in terms of warranties they have always been good to me the few times I needed something done at Hyundai or Kia.

If you are a reasonable car owner and keep up with regular maintenance with good records, doubt one would ever have a problem. Just keep in mind second owners it reverts to 5/60 instead of the 10/100 which is only for the first owner.

There is a local Kia dealer here that will DOUBLE the factory warranty if you buy from them, and they will provide free oil changes for life.

We have bought 3 new Hyundai/Kia vehicles:

2011 Kia Forte Koupe
2013 Hyundai Tucson
2014 Kia Sportage

Forte was a decent car, got great mileage. Ended up trading it in for the Sportage.

Tucson was a decent car, too. Very similar to the Sportage but the Tucson was more refined, IMO. The Tucson was quieter but they could've had different tires, I don't recall. I drove the Tucson to about 70k miles. Only thing I ever did was change oil, air filters, wiper blades and 1 set of tires. When I sold it, it still had the factory brakes on there. Sold it because we didn't need a 2nd car at that time and didn't want to move it cross country.

Still have the Sportage. It's been a great car for us. Has about 64k miles on it now. Did have a couple of issues covered under warranty: clogged catalytic converter & TPMS software needed an update. Both took about 3.5 hours for the local Kia dealer to fix. No problems since. Other than the issues covered under warranty, I've done nothing but change oil, air filters and wiper blades. It's still factory brakes and tires on there. Doubt I will change them as we need a larger vehicle. Will likely go with a Toyota Sienna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back