GAC Motors. First US commercial this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to hire Bill The Cat to be the head of the US division...GACK!!

I think it's inevitable that China is going to end up with some powerhouse auto builders, barring some kind of massive social disturbance that sets the whole country back. We've seen it with Japan and Korea, domestic makers get laughed at when they first go international and ten years later they're putting huge pressure on the US Big 3.

Nothing personal against Yu Jun, but he's gotta wear a better suit in front of a big crowd like that. Maybe he had an experience like I did when I flew to Japan on business, my main suitcase was opened for inspection at some point and not fully rezipped and then it was pouring rain in Osaka when I landed. Both my suits were dripping wet when I got to my hotel and I stayed up all night trying to get them to look reasonable.

BTW, I poked around that Chicago Evening Post site since I am a former Chicagoan and there is something very strange about it...the English used seems like a very poor translation from another language. There was never a local paper called the Evening Post that I can remember (we always got the Trib and the Sun Times), so I doubt this is an online extension of a Chicago publication with some history. I'm used to questionable use of the language in smalltime local publications, but it's unusually bad on this website.

Last edited:
I travel extensively to China and they have a lot of excellent quality manufacturers in the automotive sector, both in complete vehicles and on the parts side. They already sell internationally, I'm pretty sure Great Wall is in 42 countries already. BYD is one of the leaders in electric vehicles, especially gaining in the commercial world, also selling internationally, including the US. It's hard to keep track of all the players, it reminds me of what the US automotive market must have been like in the early 20th century.

Cute commercial, especially the Chinese kids at the end saying "ni hao".

A casual glance at the GAC display at the Detroit Auto Show was a bit scary. The vehicles looked substantial and put together well. Nothing like the 50HP Hondas introduced to the U.S. in the late 60's. The next 10 years will be interesting.

Funny thing about that news post is it does NOT even give the website for the GAC motors; only facebook/twitter URL is published; that's it! Not having a Facebook account, I am now feeling very very old.

They have no dealer network as of now. They will either have to partner with somebody established or go the direct route like Tesla. FCA has been looking for a dance partner for a couple years so my bet is on that.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Is that the Chinese company that owns Volvo?

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I travel extensively to China and they have a lot of excellent quality manufacturers in the automotive sector, both in complete vehicles and on the parts side. They already sell internationally, I'm pretty sure Great Wall is in 42 countries already. BYD is one of the leaders in electric vehicles, especially gaining in the commercial world, also selling internationally, including the US. It's hard to keep track of all the players, it reminds me of what the US automotive market must have been like in the early 20th century.

Cute commercial, especially the Chinese kids at the end saying "ni hao".

I think many dismiss China's ability to produce an excellent product. To the doubters detriment in the long run.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
A casual glance at the GAC display at the Detroit Auto Show was a bit scary. The vehicles looked substantial and put together well. Nothing like the 50HP Hondas introduced to the U.S. in the late 60's. The next 10 years will be interesting.

From what i saw on Youtube and read in magazine articles, you are spot on.

It looks like they literally cookie-cuttered the entire Honda and Toyota product lines. The van is clearly an Odyssey, the two in the middle are Lexus LX470-based, and the back left corner is all RAV4. Replace the "G" with the "T" or "H" logo and you'll see it too.

The proof will be if the vehicles last like their Japanese cousins.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
It looks like they literally cookie-cuttered the entire Honda and Toyota product lines. The van is clearly an Odyssey, the two in the middle are Lexus LX470-based, and the back left corner is all RAV4. Replace the "G" with the "T" or "H" logo and you'll see it too.

The proof will be if the vehicles last like their Japanese cousins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAC_Group#Current_joint_ventures

Originally Posted By: LotI
They have no dealer network as of now. They will either have to partner with somebody established or go the direct route like Tesla. FCA has been looking for a dance partner for a couple years so my bet is on that.

Geely offered €22 billion but Fiat wanted more. Geely would love to get the Jeep and Ram brands. The rest would go into the dustbin of history. Keep an eye on this though. Geely is still planning but in a different route.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
BYD is one of the leaders in electric vehicles, especially gaining in the commercial world, also selling internationally, including the US. It's hard to keep track of all the players, it reminds me of what the US automotive market must have been like in the early 20th century.

Right now, BYD is making inroads in public transit - this has caught New Flyer/Gillig/NovaBus off guard - as their usual clients are buying BYD's buses to test them or for smaller agencies, replace their diesel/CNG/hybrid fleet. They got their start as an ODM battery pack manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I think many dismiss China's ability to produce an excellent product. To the doubters detriment in the long run.

Produce? more like steal.. to the detriment of the world.. in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I think it's inevitable that China is going to end up with some powerhouse auto builders, barring some kind of massive social disturbance that sets the whole country back. We've seen it with Japan and Korea, domestic makers get laughed at when they first go international and ten years later they're putting huge pressure on the US Big 3.

You see it every day, their products are getting better and better. I remember when Made in Japan was considered garbage and today its coveted.
What do we see in the US and to a lesser extend Europe, everyone wants/demands a college degree and a corner office, nobody wants to work and those that do are looked down on as menial working trash, political correctness and crippling regulations have just about harmed every industry.

Is it a wonder why China is destined to become the new USA and the USA nothing more than a third world style consumer based service society?
Thank God I probably wont be around to see it but those that sat in their corner office fat and happy are going to wonder what happened and there will be nothing they can do about it. They will be crying and howling for someone like Dr Cocteau for some joy joy feelings.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: wemay

Produce? more like steal.. to the detriment of the world.. in the long run.

Yes, produce.

Japan was mentioned above. I'll add to that Korea.

Japan, Taiwan, Korea all rode the same development curve, and now produce world-class products.

China is coming up / has come up on the same curve. I could go on with examples, short comment, China has come leaps and bounds in the last decade or two.

The only difference is size. China is absolutely huge. The "sleeping giant" awakes. Something my father told me to look for 40 years ago.

It's going to be a different world, folks.

Interesting commercial. Also noted above, Chinese children saying hello at the end, there's a deeper meaning there.

Forget what the news media and the politicians say, the Chinese people absolutely adore Americans and want to have good working relationships with us, they wan't American products too. That huge growing nation is not to be feared as economic doom for the rest of the world, but economic opportunity. Most every company you see at the local mall is already there, along with all the auto manufacturers. They get the staggering size of the market to sell to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back