finally giving Motul 300V a try

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to change my oil at 4000 miles interval (although honda recommends 8000) because of the low mileage I do.

I have alsway used a real full synthetic in my engines (not synth blend, technology...) and 10/50 grade (although honda recommends 10/30!).

So after my favorite brand & viscocity was discotinued, I switched to silkolene pro4+. I could not notice any difference to gearchange, nor fuel consumption until a year and 2000 miles later when I noticed the oil pressure light would stay on a split of a second longer on first cold start of the day.

At the last change I decided to change grade to 10/40 and switch to motule 300V. Here are my initial observation after 500 miles:

no change in fuel consumption
the oil pressure light now goes off almost immediately (even at close to freezing temperatures)
the engine cooling is not as good as 10/50: running temperature is the same but the thinner oil is very quick to heat up when moving slowly or stationary

So I don't think the engine cooling is as good as 10/50 and I'll switch back to this grade at the next oil change although not to pro4+

Originally Posted By: bonjo

So I don't think the engine cooling is as good as 10/50 and I'll switch back to this grade at the next oil change although not to pro4+

Now "thin oil" folks will be crazy
smile.gif

Most folks notice better cooling with thinner oil; 40 is not a thin oil by any means.

Which motorcar car and engine are you discussing?

1.5 Litre? Honda Jazz?

Last edited:
Also, you do realize that the oil is not heating up, it is carrying away the heat that is generated in the engine and therefore shows the oil is actually performing as designed. Unless the oil gets so hot that it cokes up or evaporates, it's doing what it should. Do you think Honda would recommend (and require) a 30 weight if it wasn't capable of protecting the engine?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Also, you do realize that the oil is not heating up, it is carrying away the heat that is generated in the engine and therefore shows the oil is actually performing as designed. Unless the oil gets so hot that it cokes up or evaporates, it's doing what it should. Do you think Honda would recommend (and require) a 30 weight if it wasn't capable of protecting the engine?

No, the majority of the heat the oil is because of internal friction in the oil. In other words it is self-generated and gets worse as the viscosity increases.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

No, the majority of the heat the oil is because of internal friction in the oil. In other words it is self-generated and gets worse as the viscosity increases.

X2

One can notice this with air cooled OPE and an infrared gun.

This is related to motul motorcycle oil. the bike in question is cbr1000rr8 (runs between 76&82 centigrade in normal riding, winter~ summer)which gets up to 90~100 deg in slow traffoc.

by thinner I describe lower viscocity with high temp of 40 being less than that a 50.

This is my experience and I know it is not in line with what I was expecting! But my temperature guage doesn't lie
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back