High grade oil 6k interval vs mid grade and 3k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 08 wrangler, I check my oil every time I fuel up and I've been seeing dark oil about halfway through oil changes, I've been using mobile 1 full synthetic and changing @ 6k miles intervals, ive been considering going cheap and using supertech full synthetic since it's cheaper and changing my oil at the 3k interval, which do you guys think would be healthier for my motor? These jeeps are known for oil consumption and mine is no stranger to it.

You cant judge an oil by its colour. Black oil doesnt necessarily mean dirty oil. I would follow the recommendation in your owners manual for when to change it and use whichever synthetic oil you want for that interval. If concerned, maybe send in your oil for a n analysis.

I actually ordered a oil test kit, I'm going to send it in for analysis asap.

I actually take my jeep down alot of dusty trails and roads, that can't be helping.

Dark oil by 3K isn't a big deal. If you do anything more than straight city/stop and go driving I'd keep doing what you're doing. The 3.8 may burn oil by no fault of the owner, but they'll hold up.

Unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving.
or you drive less than 10,000 miles/year

My opinion is you are changing oil to often.
I would go 9,000 miles on any synthetic.

Your engine uses oil. Check the level often and keep it topped up.
Works for me.

Familiar with that engine. 6-7k seems to be the sweet spot with syn, 4-5k with conventional. The consumption has supposedly been fixed in recent years. A thicker Mobil 1 might help. Will still flow good. If cost is an issue, sure try the supertech syn. Regardless, its a modern engine with modern oil. The 3k oil change no longer applies. As far as the color, Mobil 1 has superior cleaning and suspension properties to most other oils. Why it turns brown sooner than other oils. All the crud created by the engine over the course of an oil change remains suspended, pours right out with the oil change. Rather than falling onto or sticking to the engine surface as varnish or sludge. Some people confuse that suspension color with "spent oil" Nope, its fine. I would be more concerned with oil that looks clear for 5k. Where's all that suspended carbon and crud if its not in the oil? It fell out of suspension and settled all over the engine in different places, why the oil still looks clean.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
You can change ST syn at 5k miles and save even more

Agreed! There have been a couple of UOAs done on vehicles at that distance with SY Syn and they've been good...and probably could have gone to 6k easy.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

Agreed! There have been a couple of UOAs done on vehicles at that distance with SY Syn and they've been good...and probably could have gone to 6k easy.

I've gone 3x that 5k distance on ST dino. Also done 10k on RK dino.

I realize the OP may not be inclined to do that, but 3k miles on a syn is a HORRENDOUS waste; even at 5k its a waste.

Wake up and smell the new world of lubes available today.
wink.gif

Last edited:
How much oil consumption?

What's your driving pattern?

Without this info, no advice can be given. Without a UOA, even the advice we give is best guess. With your driving pattern, rate of consumption AND a UOA we can give you an educated recommendation, but even it would not be 100% spot on.

What I'm saying, in other words, is that on a scale of 1 to 10 for how good our advice will be, you're at a 2. The best we can do is about an 8 (my own made up scale, so it is obviously irrefutable!)
29.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Without this info, no advice can be given. Without a UOA, even the advice we give is best guess. With your driving pattern, rate of consumption AND a UOA we can give you an educated recommendation, but even it would not be 100% spot on.

What I'm saying, in other words, is that on a scale of 1 to 10 for how good our advice will be, you're at a 2. The best we can do is about an 8 (my own made up scale, so it is obviously irrefutable!)
29.gif

I'm probably using +/- 1 to 2 quarts between changes. I usually drive this jeep on and around base, and hunting (mostly off-road or on [censored] dirt roads) I sometimes do drive it long distance, but not so much lately.

It spends it's life undeniably dirty.

I agree with DNewton, especially if your 3.8 burns as much oil as you say it does, you're probably replacing what, 1-2 quarts every 6k change? That means 30% of your oil has been renewed... keep the Mobil 1 (or really ANY other name brand synthetic), top it off when needed, and go at least 10k. Your engine will never know the difference, or miss anything.

Considering the dirty roads, it might be good to go 4-6k on ST synthetic. If there was no dusty conditions I'd agree with everyone else but dirty/dusty conditions will find their way into the oil. Would pay to change air filter often too or at least check to see how dirty it's getting with the off roading.

Originally Posted By: Viking1313
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

29.gif

I'm probably using +/- 1 to 2 quarts between changes. I usually drive this jeep on and around base, and hunting (mostly off-road or on [censored] dirt roads) I sometimes do drive it long distance, but not so much lately.

It spends it's life undeniably dirty.

+/- 2 quarts!? I've never heard of an engine giving BACK oil!
happy2.gif

JK, of course. 1-2 quarts isn't bad over 6k miles. It will replenish the add pack, but not enough to allow for something like a 10K interval, without first sending a sample out for analysis.

How many miles do you drive / year?

Off-road? I'd make sure to have a very stout oil in there - much stouter than the vanilla Mobil 1. If you tend to take large angles or slosh the oil around, you might need to rely on a robust add pack to protect your engine briefly, if the hydrodynamic wedge is compromised and you end up in the boundary region of lubrication.

Do the oil analysis and make very sure your air filtration is effective. I really hope you have a good paper air filter in the stock air box. Don't over service the air filter either. A restriction gauge is a good investment. Dirt through the intake will kill that engine far faster than 10k mile conventional oil changes.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: JLTD

I've gone 3x that 5k distance on ST dino. Also done 10k on RK dino.

I realize the OP may not be inclined to do that, but 3k miles on a syn is a HORRENDOUS waste; even at 5k its a waste.

Wake up and smell the new world of lubes available today.
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back