Richard Petty Museum visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LFgsLQATc
Myself and 3 friends visited the Petty Museum in Level Cross N.C. yesterday and had a great time. We were getting ready to leave after about 2 hours and Richard came into the museum and greeted us like we were family members. We talked for about 10 minutes and took some pics and he signed a friends hat for him. My friend told him he is a big fan and originally from Massachusetts, and Richard told him when he heard him speak he assumed he was from Alabama. That got a big laugh. The link is a video of a British reporter going for a ride in Petty's 1970 Plymouth Superbird on the roads near the museum. The audio alone is worth watching. The Superbird is started at about 6:30 in the video. If you are within 50 miles of the museum, it's well worth a detour to visit the Petty Museum.

I gotta say that in 1970 or 71 a bunch of us saw Richard Petty win the Acme/SuperSaver 500 at Mt. Pocono Racetrack.

I took a great photo of #43 crossing he finish line.
The irony here is that I'm not the world's biggest fan.
However, whenever I show anyone the picture they fall to their knees as if before a saint.
And it sure ain't me.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I gotta say that in 1970 or 71 a bunch of us saw Richard Petty win the Acme/SuperSaver 500 at Mt. Pocono Racetrack.

I took a great photo of #43 crossing he finish line.
The irony here is that I'm not the world's biggest fan.
However, whenever I show anyone the picture they fall to their knees as if before a saint.
And it sure ain't me.
I grew up 30 miles from the Petty race shop and have to say I agree somewhat. The popularity of Richard Petty is based upon him being 'one of us'. I have seen him in restaurants, while visiting a family member in the local hospital, at a farmers market, and he will always speak and exchange greetings. I didn't request a pic or autograph yesterday but know he would have complied if I had. If there is a more personable 'personality' on the planet, I would like to meet him/her. Richard Petty is a genuinely nice guy, the 'real deal' and never forgot where he came from.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Interesting mustache he's sporting. That car blew its engine in lap 7 of the 1970 Daytona 500.
That's right, but Pete Hamilton won the 1970 Daytona 500 in a Petty Enterprises owned and prepared Hemi Superbird. The only difference in the two cars was Hamilton's car had a front fascia painted red so the pit crews could distinguish which was Petty and which was Hamilton during pit stops.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think he just passed?
Pete Hamilton died 3/21/17, 1 year ago tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back