Oil filter change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some VR1 10w-30 for an upcoming oil and filter change on seldom used Plymouth 440. Checked last change was July 2015, about 300 miles ago max. Is it worth changing filter at such low use? TIA

Depends on the media. Several examples of torn paper media on here. I would imagine that risk increases the longer the paper is saturated. If it was a synthetic media filter I would say yes, leave it on. Also, I worry about the filter getting stuck being on so long. But that may not be a real problem, just paranoia.

Paper media degrades over time. I would change it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why don't you compromise and replace the filter and about two quarts of the oil to restore the ad pac?

Or since the car and engine are classic, and could be worth some money, why not just spend the money and change it completely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Paper media degrades over time. I would change it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why don't you compromise and replace the filter and about two quarts of the oil to restore the ad pac?

Or since the car and engine are classic, and could be worth some money, why not just spend the money and change it completely on not half azzed?

True enough, complete oil and filter change it will be.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Tell us a little more about the car.

1968 Plymouth GTX automatic.

Nice .

My Sr year of HS , I was in a vocational program , at school . I went to school 1/2 day & worked at the local Dodge dealership 1/2 day . As a flunky & gofer in the shop .

Saw a lot of nice MOPAR vehicles .

Briefly drove a 6 Pack 440 .

Originally Posted By: mvent
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Tell us a little more about the car.

1968 Plymouth GTX automatic.

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
. An old guy that remembers those beauties!

Whimsey

And you're not driving this car, why? A Classic like this deserves to be seen on the street and at car shows on a regular basis. 500-1000 miles a year would be more like it.

Nice muscle car.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd use a full synthetic oil filter with a silicone ADBV if you plan on leaving it on for 3~4 years.

You have Beautiful car. I had a 1970 GTX 440 6pac 4 speed 4:10 Dana plum with white interior. Purchased new off the showroom floor for 3,800.00 my first loan. Fast you bet it was.

WOW! Beautiful! I've never owned a trailer Queen but I do understand the 300 miles in almost 3 years. I would be so tempted to take it out and beat it like a rented mule!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back