Maintenance on a "sealed for life transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Some "sealed" transmissions without a dipstick, make it very hard to determine the correct fluid level. The transmission must be brought up to operating temperature, run through the gears, and then the vehicle is raised and a fill and "level check" plug are then removed from underneath. Fluid is added until it flows out of the "level check" plug. This is done with the engine/transmission running in park. A little dangerous without a lift. Make sure you know the procedure before attempting the job.

Unless you have a vehicle with a high-enough ride height to get under it (like my Tacoma PreRunner).

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
My Tacoma is easy to change. I use a fusion app along with a kiwi 3 blue tooth adapter. Custom PID gives me transmission temp.

Nice. I didn't know something like that existed. For the couple of times I've flushed my Tacoma's tranny, I used the alternate procedure (using a jumper to bridge 2 points in the OBD port). What was the cost?

There is also apparently no standard (at least among Toyota dealers) for servicing of their newer transmissions that don't have dipsticks. I've heard different things...

Recently, on my first trip to a local (newer) Toyota dealer (North Nashville Toyota) to buy 15 quarts of the WS fluid to do my Taco, the counter man at the parts dept. told me my transmission was "sealed" and never required a fluid change.

At a different dealer (Wolfchase Toyota in Memphis), where I went to get the fluid to do the flush the last time, they told me that Toyota now recommends servicing at 60,000 miles. They said that had been revised down by Toyota from "never" to "100,000 miles" to "60,000 miles" when these things started failing due to people never changing the fluid.

So who knows what the manufacturer (Aisin/Warner) or Toyota's official policy is.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: Trav
Rock Auto has transmission filters kits with gasket, it appears to use a "real" filter not just a screen so its a good idea to drop the pan.
frown.gif

Man I really hate having to do that

What type of RTV people recommend?

If the pan used RTV originally, you can use Permatex's ATF RTV(used by Mopar as the OEM sealant) but Toyota's black FIPG is the bee's knees as far as RTV goes.

If you have a gasket, I like Permatex high-tack sparingly applied to hold it on.

Its not that bad, in fact its one of the easier jobs but to do it or not is your decision.
Personally I like to change the filter and clean the inside of the pan if I am servicing one.

I'll be doing my service in my buddy's garage so waiting 24 hours isn't an option for me
smirk.gif

Does permatex "the right stuff" work on it or is it too weak for ATF?

The problem isn't the RTV its keeping the sealing surface oil free long enough to get it together. New the transmission is upside down and empty when the RTV and pan go on.
On a lift you might be okay, both surfaces must be clean, oil free and dry or its a fail, the right stuff will work fine.

The 6spd in the Lexus LS430 even tries to hide it's serviceability by covering the fill/check ports with a plastic cover. With 90,000 on the original fluid it was begging to be changed out. Unfortunately since it's a Lexus only transmission (A761E) we changed it out with 14qts of Toyota WS.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
My Tacoma is easy to change. I use a fusion app along with a kiwi 3 blue tooth adapter. Custom PID gives me transmission temp.

Nice. I didn't know something like that existed. For the couple of times I've flushed my Tacoma's tranny, I used the alternate procedure (using a jumper to bridge 2 points in the OBD port). What was the cost?

I use my Ultragauge MX for my ATF changes on my 07 Tacoma. It can be programmed to display both Pan and Torque converter temps.

https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=57

Last edited:
When I bought my DD to/from work vehicle with 2.4L I noticed the book maintenance chart shows nothing regards to transmission maintenance.
So I asked about it sometime later on when I took it in for a recall on the stop light switch and was told "Don't worry about it unless it sat submerged in water for awhile".
Well I'm nearing 150k and no issues, no leaks of anything I can see yet (just did a OC last week and I look around).
I wish they would put that dipstick back on so I can at least check - then I would be inclined to run a tube down and pull out some ATF & add on some periodic basis to keep some fresh in there rather than split the tranny.

Regular maintenance should preclude a drop of the pan - return line flushes with the same amount should suffice for the finicky transmissions.

Pan drop would help clean up the gunk and possibly replace the filter if serviceable.

Personally dislike dropping the pan since it easily can result in a cross threading of the bolts while re-installation.

Originally Posted By: BlakeB
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I use my Ultragauge MX for my ATF changes on my 07 Tacoma. It can be programmed to display both Pan and Torque converter temps.

https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=57

Cool! But for as often as I do the job (every 6 years/100K), I can just use the jumper method. That's pretty neat, though.

Its not that bad, in fact its one of the easier jobs but to do it or not is your decision.
Personally I like to change the filter and clean the inside of the pan if I am servicing one.

I'll be doing my service in my buddy's garage so waiting 24 hours isn't an option for me
smirk.gif

The problem isn't the RTV its keeping the sealing surface oil free long enough to get it together. New the transmission is upside down and empty when the RTV and pan go on.
On a lift you might be okay, both surfaces must be clean, oil free and dry or its a fail, the right stuff will work fine.

Thanks, I also asked and they said it was OK as well.

I think I'll be dropping the pan but I still have doubts on their logic of replacing the bolts

smirk.gif

Thanks, I also asked and they said it was OK as well.

I think I'll be dropping the pan but I still have doubts on their logic of replacing the bolts

They’re usually pretty cheap bolts, with cheap threads, and corrode easily. Bolts are cheap. I think it cost me an extra $17 recently when I had to replace the pan on my Taco because the drain plug threads stripped out (manual called for 21 lb/ft of torque when it should be about 15 lb/ft).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back