Apple juice from China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought some apple juice from the grocery store. I brought it home and I noticed it said "Made from concentrate from the USA or China.

Would that bother you to drink apple juice from China knowing all the things we know about that country?

Last edited:
I would never drink "from concentrate", don't care where is comes from. Even the stuff that is not from concentrate is pretty gross when you know how it is made. Did you know it can be up to two years old?

Originally Posted By: callbay
Would that bother you to drink orange juice from China knowing all the things we know about that country?

I try to avoid imported foods, especially from countries and regions with history of safety problems. Whisky and cheese are another story.

However, the average Walmart shopper is going to pay $1.99 for imported OJ from concentrate over the $4+ domestic fresh-squeezed juice of domestic origin. You’re buying the Supertech of orange juice.

I see that you’ve edited the post and switched orange to apple since I typed this, but the content of my comment still applies.

Most mainstream apple juice sold in the US has parts sourced from China and that has been the case for many years.

Look at labels of canned fruit or individual fruit cups...All China...lately I see that Walmart brand pickles are now product of India...I complained about it to WM via twitter...we need to demand that they source products from the USA or Canada. Sick and tired of this. We cant even provide ourselves with pickles, really? Continual race to the bottom is a trigger for me. Raise the price a bit if need be instead. Fact is I always check labels and if its not from USA or Canada, Im not buying it. Exceptions exist of course, if Im sourcing certain ingredients.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I recently bought some apple juice from the grocery store. I brought it home and I noticed it said "Made from concentrate from the USA or China.

Would that bother you to drink apple juice from China knowing all the things we know about that country?

Stay away if you can. I'll tell you some anecdotal stories and you can attest however you want.

There are people from that country actually travel oversea just to buy baby formula milk, diapers, vitamins supplements, any over-the-counter products and they take it back to China for their own consumption or sell to make a profit.

So what does that tell you? They don't even trust the [censored] produced by their own country.

The funny thing is that it's cheaper to ship the cucumbers from the California to India, pickle them there and import the pickles back to the US than to pickle them here.

Same with tofu -- our GMO soy is sent to China, made into tofu and then imported back to the US.

Best not to drink much apple or orange juice. Eat an apple or an orange. Your body can pull the sugar out of juice very quickly and send insulin spiking. Not so with the whole fruit.

I don't buy from China any human food including seafood which has been processed on Chinese ships, dog food, medicine, and parachutes. All are dangerous to my health.

Kroger apple juice has been Chicom sourced for a while now.

I usually get the locally sourced cider every fall, but that’s about it.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Most mainstream apple juice sold in the US has parts sourced from China and that has been the case for many years.

Yep. Read the label. They get apples or concentrate from wherever they can. This is not new.

I simply don't bother with juice, from any country. It's so processed and filtered, what you're drinking is simply fruit flavored sugar water.

I noticed that too on apple juice last time I bought it at Walmart. The only one that said made in America, was the store brand Wal-Mart juice. I think it was Sams choice or Great Value something similar. Said something to the effect that the apples were sourced from the USA, and no mention of China.

Last time I bought OJ, I checked the containers and most said Brazilian oranges. I live in Florida, so I ONLY buy Florida orange juice. Not Brazil. Not California. Florida, not from concentrate orange juice. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I simply don't bother with juice, from any country. It's so processed and filtered, what you're drinking is simply fruit flavored sugar water.

What happens with "fresh juice" that's not from a concentrate is that when they pasteurize the juice and store it in vats, it loses its flavor. So they import flavor packs from France, made by big perfume houses, add it to the juice as they bottle them.

That's how you get that consistent flavor and taste which would be impossible otherwise.

Big multinational banks yield big antics and big crashes.
Big multinational food products offer harder to trace impure batches and harder to enforce (if at all) food regulations.

Suggesting that bigger isn't necessarily better on this board might get one labeled "hippie economist" by the red, white and blue set.

Maybe local food isn't so bad? Adjusting to seasons can lower the percentage of jet fuel costs per pound of food.
purchased.

Large colonization is today's model. Ohh no, not us. We're too pretty.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: 28oz

What happens with "fresh juice" that's not from a concentrate is that when they pasteurize the juice and store it in vats, it loses its flavor. So they import flavor packs from France, made by big perfume houses, add it to the juice as they bottle them.

That's how you get that consistent flavor and taste which would be impossible otherwise.

When stored, they have to remove the oxygen so it does not spoil. That removes all the flavour, colour and taste, and any beneficial vitamins. Apparently, it looks like watered down milk at that point. Then they have to add the flavour pack so it resembles actual juice again.

So gross.

Buy fresh pressed, or don't bother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back