Motorcraft Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking those who know, are Motorcraft Oil Filter still held in high regard here at Bob's? My oil filter stash on the Mazda3 in my signature in now gone so, I am looking to buy filters one at a time as we're not sure how much long we'll be keeping the car.

I was looking at oil filters at Walmart and the Motorcraft FL-910S is $3.97, which is ~$2 less than most parts stores. Just to grab an oil filter when I need to, I was entertaining using the Motorcraft. However, if the Motorcraft is no better than W*M's own oil filter, I'll just use the SuperTech for $2.97. Opinions on the ST would be nice as well, as long as I've mentioned it!

I've been using PurONE(bought a ton on sale a while ago) so, I'm not looking for the best filter(FRAM Ultra), I'm just looking for a very good filter that can be used for up to 2X.

Last edited:
I have used the MC FL910 for years at 10K OCIs and they always perform very well. I have never seen a flaw in them. I also like the silicon ADBV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
The motorcraft filters are definitely better than the supertech, new or old.

Nope.

Purolator (that makes Motorcraft) has had too many issues for too long without being addressed.

The 910s has a pretty good track record though, not a know Tearolator filter.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
The motorcraft filters are definitely better than the supertech, new or old.

Nope.

Purolator (that makes Motorcraft) has had too many issues for too long without being addressed.

The 910s has a pretty good track record though, not a known Tearolator filter.

Right, Motorcraft is made by Purolator. However, all of the Classic White & PurONE Yellow(a.k.a. new RED & BLUE) that I have had since the Tearolator issues, have never shown any tears when I've cut'em open after each OCI. So, I am fortunate in this regard.

I do like to run the filters for 2 OCI. Change the filter for the winter(~ NOV-MAY) with full synthetic 0W/5W20 oil and then, keep the filter on for the spring-fall(~ JUN-OCT) with dino 5W30...most 5W20/5W30 are blends.

It was once my understanding that the Motorcraft filters were Purolator ONE. Is this still the understanding of others? Does anyone know for sure? Or are they essentially a PuroClassic w/silicone ADBV?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Right, Motorcraft is made by Purolator. However, all of the Classic White & PurONE Yellow(a.k.a. new RED & BLUE) that I have had since the Tearolator issues, have never shown any tears when I've cut'em open after each OCI. So, I am fortunate in this regard.

I've always wondered if the driving style contributes to tearing. Assuming you drive normally, you're not putting a whole lot of pressure on the media over the course of an oil change. Maybe the tearolator autopsies had lots of WOT over an 8k OCI.

MC filters are made to Ford specs and are not just a regular Purolator.
I have used them for many years with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
MC filters are made to Ford specs and are not just a regular Purolator.
I have used them for many years with no issues.

Only the factory Motorcraft filters - the ones during new vehicle assembly, are made to Ford Specs.

Even the ones Ford Parts uses in their service department for things like oil changes, are not the same as the factory Motorcraft filters.

Don't Wix, NAPA, Mobil-1 and Fram make filters for your Mazda?.. that's what I'd use. Even Premium STP - better than Purolator, in my opinion

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Asking those who know, are Motorcraft Oil Filter still held in high regard here at Bob's? My oil filter stash on the Mazda3 in my signature in now gone so, I am looking to buy filters one at a time as we're not sure how much long we'll be keeping the car.

I was looking at oil filters at Walmart and the Motorcraft FL-910S is $3.97, which is ~$2 less than most parts stores. Just to grab an oil filter when I need to, I was entertaining using the Motorcraft. However, if the Motorcraft is no better than W*M's own oil filter, I'll just use the SuperTech for $2.97. Opinions on the ST would be nice as well, as long as I've mentioned it!

I've been using PurONE(bought a ton on sale a while ago) so, I'm not looking for the best filter(FRAM Ultra), I'm just looking for a very good filter that can be used for up to 2X.

Buy the MC filter. You know almost everyone here doesn't like MC oil filters. I use MC oil filters and will NEVER lose a wink of sleep over them. Sure, I have a WIX on my engine, and I think FRAM ULTRA's are the best oil filters on the market. Aside from that, the MC FL-400S is, and will always be my go to oil filter. Well, when I'm not using a synthetic type oil filter.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
... Maybe the tearolator autopsies had lots of WOT over an 8k OCI.
High engine speed with cold oil could well be a factor in tears of susceptible filters. However, filters shouldn't be that susceptible. WOT by itself shouldn't matter.

Nope, not even a little bit by the majority of us. Tig is right, though, the 910S seems to be the only one worth using that's not prone to issues. That and the good ol' FL-1A that's been around for decades! I still use them on my old Ford trucks and have used the 910S on my Tacoma in the past without issues as well.

Thanks everyone!
As I stated in my original post,(daughter's car)she's not sure how much longer she'll be keeping the Mazda as the car is also used for her job and travel. So, we are starting to look for a replacement over the next year.

Sure, she can keep it almost forever, just fix what goes wrong. However it comes to a price point and overall reliability. With nearing 160K miles, we're looking for a good replacement.

In 12 years, this car hasn't seen much more that the Purolator Classic/PureONE oil filters. And it's not that I won't use a WIX/NAPA Gold, Bosch D+, M1, FRAM Ultra but, I already know everyone opinion on these. I'm just curious about the Motorcraft FL-910S.

Thanks again,

CB

Last edited:
They are just weak paper ~ does not mean they will tear ~ just more likely to tear. For me to accept moving away from them I tore some with little effort when new. I could not tear M1 or FU even with 10k on them …

4WD said:
They are just weak paper ~ does not mean they will tear ~ just more likely to tear. For me to accept moving away from them I tore some with little effort when new. I could not tear M1 or FU even with 10k on them …
Is that so........
35.gif

I still use some motorcrafts here and there i do cut some apart after i remove them and I haven't found any issues with them yet, but I also don't run them as long as some people do.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I still use some motorcrafts here and there i do cut some apart after i remove them and I haven't found any issues with them yet, but I also don't run them as long as some people do.

I don't run mine as long either. 3000 mile oil changes like the vehicle maker specified for my f150. I have not cut any open yet so even if the do tear I am not to worried. It isn't going to be circulating unfiltered oil for very long.

Originally Posted By: MRtv

I don't run mine as long either. 3000 mile oil changes like the vehicle maker specified for my f150. I have not cut any open yet so even if the do tear I am not to worried. It isn't going to be circulating unfiltered oil for very long.

What year is your F150? Must be pretty old, to have 3K OCIs listed in your owners manual.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: MRtv

What year is your F150? Must be pretty old, to have 3K OCIs listed in your owners manual.

My owners manual reads 3K mile OCI's as well. When I re-wrote that section I made sure it read 3K mile OCI's!
grin.gif

Seriously, I do 3K mile OCI's every now and again. I now mostly do 5-7.5K mile OCI's.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back