Pintch Weld Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this tool this afternoon to jack up both of my Fusions with my hyd floor jack.

I had to alter the top piece which came from an old scissor jack.

Last edited:
That's really cool Tig! Alot more creative than my old hockey puck with a ridge cut in it.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I have several tools I have had to make over the years of which some are obsolete, but I just hang on to them as a collection.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Thanks. I have several tools I have had to make over the years of which some are obsolete, but I just hang on to them as a collection.

Let us see them, I love home made tools. I would love to make one for my car, from what I understand they are pretty much model specific.

The one thing I hate about jacking at the pinch welds (I use my car's jack to get the car up, then slide a jack under the subframe or control arm mount) is that it seems to cut through the undercoating there. Not a huge deal but the front jacking point behind the front wheel well is the #1 spot for poorly maintained cars to rust. Eventually you cannot jack there if you have a rustbucket, and damaging the undercoating there will make it worse.

Nice job.

For people considering making one, you should look at how the factory Jack engages the pinch weld.

Maybe go to junk yard and buy a factory Jack to cut the pinch weld adapter off.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
I'm sure it'll work.

It does work well. I tried it today and it functions very well.

I am NOT pointing out anyone in particular, but I do not understand why some members of this forum insist on using the pinch weld as a jack point with a floor jack. I have been working on cars (routine/unscheduled maintenance, heavy modifications) for ~20 years on a wide variety of vehicles and can't remember the last time I jacked on a pinch weld. Perhaps never. I built a set of very simple ramps that I drive my lowered vehicles on to access the frame/subframe jack points. To each his own I guess.

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
I am NOT pointing out anyone in particular, but I do not understand why some members of this forum insist on using the pinch weld as a jack point with a floor jack. I have been working on cars (routine/unscheduled maintenance, heavy modifications) for ~20 years on a wide variety of vehicles and can't remember the last time I jacked on a pinch weld. Perhaps never. I built a set of very simple ramps that I drive my lowered vehicles on to access the frame/subframe jack points. To each his own I guess.

You ain't seen it all. My 2017 Fusion has a cover under the body of the car and you can't find a suitable jack point other than the pinch weld. Also my 2007 Fusion has a good place to jack the front but not the back of the car, so again the pinch weld works great. Also I have ramps to, but when I rotate tires I need to be able to jack the car up.

After jacking up thousands of vehicles for installing tires, all I can say is sometimes you have to get creative. I have lifted many vehicles using a something other than the "official" jack points. It might be a sturdy part of the frame, or even an A-arm. There are many ways to do it, and so many other issues, like air suspension, etc. It's crazy anymore without obvious jack points like some cars have. I have seen some older Toyota's for example, with jack points that you could get the whole car in the air with 3 floor jacks.
2 floor jacks are a minimum for most car maintenance. And, usually no dedicated pinch weld adaptors. I just use a wood pad on my floor jack saddles for most stuff, or a hockey puck as needed, which do not need a groove either. Just the weight of the car will make it's own groove.

Last edited:

You ain't seen it all. My 2017 Fusion has a cover under the body of the car and you can't find a suitable jack point other than the pinch weld. Also my 2007 Fusion has a good place to jack the front but not the back of the car, so again the pinch weld works great. Also I have ramps to, but when I rotate tires I need to be able to jack the car up.

Do you put the pinch welds on jack stands too?

Metal on metal, not good. Scratches, chipping, paint loss, etc = rust. Anything that protects and cushions is better.............. wood, hockey puck, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Do you put the pinch welds on jack stands too?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back