Pennzoil High Mileage Platinum 0w20 @ 63k Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am purchasing a used 2014 Rav4 from my daughter who bought it new.

I've always done the oil changes using Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and Toyota filters.

I can buy Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in jugs from Walmart on clearance for $13.00.

Rebate knocks the cost down to $3.00. WOW!

Question is, how does it compare to the Mobil 1 and is it ok to use at "only" 63,000 and can I switch back to something else when the six jugs run out???

It's better
wink.gif

You can switch back and forth from a half dozen of these … found several brands on sale in the last few months …

If you run out of 0w20 PPHM I am only a state away lol. Its good oil. Its better than M1HM as it appears once you start using M1HM they kinda dont want you swapping off of it. Guess they got some good swell agents but just like the lil blue pill, doesnt do so well coming down. Kinda wish QSUD made a 0w20 HM formula. All in all, brand name synthetic from Pennzoil, Castrol, or M1 are all great.

I only use HM oil to solve an issue with leaks or valve seal oil consumption. I believe there is truth to that Stuart Goss video etched in my brain. Its not worth the 3 dollars to age the valve seals. Puff them up so they wear prematurely. My opinion.

There has been chatter on the board that since the HM oils have more of the "good stuff" to help out engines with high miles, there is no real reason you couldn't start using it after draining the factory fill. Plus, since you're talking Pennzoil, looking at their HMs you can see their version is counter to tribal knowledge- the HM versions are actually a hair thinner than the normal ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back