Low oil pressure code when following the olm

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my wife 13 dart her oil life monitors seems to go about 7,000-7,500. We have been running synpower 5w40 if we follow the olm it will throw a code for low oil pressure. I saved the code I thought on Alfa obd but now I can’t retrieve it. But it was a multi air vva code and the most common cause was low or dirty oil. The oil wasn’t ever low and we just were following the olm. My 2.4 has never done this but her 1.4 does. When the oil is changed it’s fine so the logical thing would be change it sooner. But is there a different oil that would hold up better? Or another reason it would do this? Any thoughts is appreciated.

Could simply be a failing sensor. You should have seen the oil pressure gauge on my Mustang when the sender started going bad, LOL! It was hilarious.

Sounds a little like the codes thrown for Dodge Chrysler Hemi engines when viscosity gets too low (fuel dilution would do that). P1521 on those Hemi's.

Her Dart's code could be P106B-00-CYLINDER 4 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE, which might be low viscosity at the end of the oil change interval.
Possible causes:
•LOW ENGINE OIL
•INCORRECT OIL FILTER THAT DOES NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
•OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
•CORRECT VISCOSITY AND WEIGHT
•ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Last edited:
That said, it could be anything, not just low viscosity. The on-board computer monitors hydraulic pressure in the Multi-Air fluid paths, and when the solenoids activate, pressure must rise fast enough. If not, as in when the hydraulic oil circuit has junk in it, you can get the code thrown.

You might check for any software updates for the olm.
Personally, i don't bother with the olm.

It is most likely the viscosity. (Oil thinned out) possible due to fuel leakage. But most likely the 1.4 turbo is just hard on oil and you will need to change oil at 5,000 miles instead.

Get a UOA next oil change to find out.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That said, it could be anything, not just low viscosity. The on-board computer monitors hydraulic pressure in the Multi-Air fluid paths, and when the solenoids activate, pressure must rise fast enough. If not, as in when the hydraulic oil circuit has junk in it, you can get the code thrown.

Think the ECU is detecting a multiair reaction time (plotted against a known or measured temp/viscosity curve) and is noticing that it's changed past a threshold during the course of this OCI, due to a possible change in oil viscosity? This is to assume that the ECU relearns a viscosity curve (perhaps based on temp/reaction time) after each OLM reset. As advised, a UOA may shed some light

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Think the ECU is detecting a multiair reaction time (plotted against a known or measured temp/viscosity curve) and is noticing that it's changed past a threshold during the course of this OCI, due to a possible change in oil viscosity? This is to assume that the ECU relearns a viscosity curve (perhaps based on temp/reaction time) after each OLM reset. As advised, a UOA may shed some light

No relearning happens necessarily. It might. All they need is a fixed threshold, like "Trip the fault code if the pressure sensor sees less than 14 psi at 300 milliseconds after the solenoid pops open." Fiat-Chrysler engineers might know that indicates something is wrong.

Aha ok... Try to edit that link by hand to ...manuals\

Maybe there be more manuals
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back