Generator Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doolah02
I was wondering how often should I exercise my generators. How long
should I let them run?
I have a 7,500 watt Troybilt with a 10 HP Briggs. I exercise it with a load for about an hour every 4 months or so. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never had a problem. YMMV.

I run my 2kW WEN generator every few months:

1. Idle 5 min to warm up

2. Add half load for 5 min

3. Full load for 10 min

4. 5 min cool-down

5. Off

I haven't had any issues, but my genny is still pretty much a baby, since I haven't had to use it very often, luckily.

I would load test every 6 months. Both legs of 220v. I would run the generator dry on blue Stabil and E0 gas.

If your really serious about having a reliable generator then it would be a propane generator, not gasoline.

I run mine for 30 minutes monthly, with a load.

Every 6 months for 20 mins

Start, warm up, load to about 2/3 or 3/4 of running capacity (not MAX load)

Run at no load 2-3 mins

shut off fuel...... run until carb is dry.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Every 6 months for 20 mins

Start, warm up, load to about 2/3 or 3/4 of running capacity (not MAX load)

Run at no load 2-3 mins

shut off fuel...... run until carb is dry.

As above is likely sufficient.

I leave my Yamaha EF2000is for six months of the year for winter storage. I fill the tank, shut the air intake off, shut the fuel off and let it run until it stops to drain the carb. In the spring, I open the air to the fuel tank, turn on the fuel, give it a couple pulls and away she goes.

I have a 20 year old 10 hp Briggs 5000 watt and a 10 year old Powermate 10 hp Subaru 5000 watt.
I usually run them once a month for 20 or 30 minutes.

I start mine up every month or so and let it run without load for maybe 15 minutes before shutting the fuel valve and running the carburetor dry. If it doesn't get a real workout after 4-6 months, then I hook it up to the the transfer switch and run it under load for at least thirty minutes. That hasn't been a problem this winter, having used it continuously for more than four hours once this month already.

I purchased a new Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt Storm Responder generator in 2012, it was manufactured in 2010. About every 3 months I run it for approx 1 hour with a total 3000 watt load balanced between the 2 circuits. It runs great and produces the power needed with no issues. I installed a transfer switch and when using that I have no problem with using our tv or computers.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I purchased a new Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt Storm Responder generator in 2012, it was manufactured in 2010. About every 3 months I run it for approx 1 hour with a total 3000 watt load balanced between the 2 circuits. It runs great and produces the power needed with no issues. I installed a transfer switch and when using that I have no problem with using our tv or computers.

Whimsey

About how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking kind sir gentlemen?

I have a Generac 20KW fully automatic whole house generator. It starts and runs itself once per week for 12 minutes. That is the factory default time interval and duration and I did not change it. Gets all service as specified in the manual. Must be the correct formula because it has performed flawlessly for almost 10 years. Came in particularly handy during Irma. Power was out at our house for about 45 seconds (that's the time set to auto start). It was kind of nice being the only house in the vicinity with A/C, lights, hot water, hot food, and cold beer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

About how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking kind sir gentlemen?

The B&S 5500 watt generator was $799 and the manual transfer switch was $215 I believe. I installed it my self, it was not difficult to do. The transfer switch I have is a Reliance 6 position switch. B&S generators are now offering 6250 watt generators with a larger 420cc engine for the same $799 price. That's a better deal than what I got with the 5500 watt B&S generator.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Donald

If your really serious about having a reliable generator then it would be a propane generator, not gasoline.

I am 100% sold on this idea now. We can not get non-ethonal gas around here unless you buy $6.50/gal race gas. I have Champian 100307 "duel fuel" genset that runs well on LPG. Zero messing with the carb or dealing with draining fuel. I got the champian this year to backup my EU2000i. The honda is getting old and I kinda push it to the limit running the fridge, boiler, and well pump.

I got my Honda EU2000i in 2001. I change the oil every 50hrs. I start it and run it for 30 mins under load every 6months. Then completely drain the carb and gas tank. It gets used a few times a year for different things and after each use I drain the fuel.
I stock pile 15gals of fuel (mid grade E10) that is treated with marine Stabil. I rotate that out every 6months also.
I am now looking to convert the EU2000i to duel fuel. Being able to just use the gen then put it away with out any hassle or worry is worth the cost IMO. LPG also stores indefinatly so I can get a few 30 or 40# tanks and forget about it. All my OPE problems have been fuel related and really began when they started forcing ethanol gas.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Truer words were never spoken. As I said above we have a 20KW whole house propane generator for our current house. In a previous house, I had a 15KW gasoline portable wired in into the house. What a giant PITA. I made a small open sided shed so it could stay outside and run during storms. Still had to go outside and start it in bad weather. Had a 16 gallon fuel tank. Trying to keep the fuel fresh was nearly impossible. When a big storm was predicted, I would run out and buy about 40 gallons of gas to store in my remote shed. When the power did not go out, I had to gradual use all that fuel in my vehicles so I would not have a big supply of stale fuel around. Now we have 250 gallons of propane that will stay fresh forever. You could not get me to buy another gasoline generator at any price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back