Super cool vid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this video was really neat. I get that it’s a marketing video but I never knew this is how the oil system in this type of car worked. Kinda cool. Video gets good at about 1:00 min in

https://youtu.be/_5VJ3NXzkVU

Last edited:
Reminds me of the old RP ads. Saying that if you use their oil,you'll go faster,have more horsepower,etc.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
You would think a high performance Toyota V8 would have roller lifters.
Thats not a Toyota V8, not even close.
All NASCAR engines are the same basic design, no matter who the sponsor is. Makes the races closer and hence more exciting. Rules say its the same older design style pushrod V8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
All NASCAR engines are the same basic design, no matter who the sponsor is. Makes the races closer and hence more exciting. Rules say its the same older design style pushrod V8.

They are all architecturally similar. Ford's is based on the SBF IIRC, because you could buy Winston cup heads and put them on your SBF, though I think matching an intake to it was a chore. GM I believe uses something based on the LSx?

Toyota of course didn't have a pushrod V8 so they just kinda "made one".

Well unless things have changed, NASCAR does not allow the use of roller lifters in competition.

Interesting video, but has some issues.

1) They use stupid statements like "the oil pump puts out over twice the pressure that you would find in the race tires" ... huh? Why not just say at what PSI the oil pump operates at.

2) When talking about the load in the rod big end bearings, why not just say 76,500 PSI instead of "5000 times more than atmospheric pressure"? I'm surprised they didn't work in a "fortnight" in there somewhere.

3) They said the oil filter is catches 95% of all particles below 10 microns. I find that on hard to believe, and think they actually meant all particles above 10 microns.

4) They said the entire oil system circulated once every 8 seconds. Earlier they said the system held 5 gallons and the oil pump was running at 12 GPM. With those parameters, 5 gallons would circulate once every 25 seconds.

The only thing "Toyota" on those cars is the Toyota emblem.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They are all architecturally similar. Ford's is based on the SBF IIRC, because you could buy Winston cup heads and put them on your SBF, though I think matching an intake to it was a chore. GM I believe uses something based on the LSx?

Toyota of course didn't have a pushrod V8 so they just kinda "made one".

What caught my eye was the asymmetrical exhaust port spacing like a 1st generation small block Chev. Not likely. But the basic explanation of the NASCAR oiling system was quite informative. Other than some errors in the details, an excellent video.

Dry sumps work by over savaging. They are capable of pumping out more than the system puts in ... I don't recall, but those engines may be operating at less than atmospheric ... I seem to recall a vacuum pump on that aux string somewhere ...

The companies can buy all sorts of aftermarket blocks and heads that will pattern up to NASCAR specs. You could build a NASCAR legal engine w/o a single OEM part unless they are spec'ing OEM part numbers (they used too ...).

99.9% or street engines do not have oil squirters cooling the pistons. Trucks, yes. Cars, no ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
1) Why not just say at what PSI the oil pump operates at.
2)why not just say 76,500 PSI instead of "5000 times more than atmospheric pressure"?
3)I find that on hard to believe, and think they actually meant all particles above 10 microns.
4)With those parameters, 5 gallons would circulate once every 25 seconds.

It makes baby Jesus cry when a big company like Mobil puts out poorly done technical videos like this.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
99.9% or street engines do not have oil squirters cooling the pistons. Trucks, yes. Cars, no ...

Ford Coyote and Voodoo engines have oil squirters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
1) Why not just say at what PSI the oil pump operates at.
2)why not just say 76,500 PSI instead of "5000 times more than atmospheric pressure"?
3)I find that on hard to believe, and think they actually meant all particles above 10 microns.
4)With those parameters, 5 gallons would circulate once every 25 seconds.

I noticed most of that too. Dramatic effect, and also trying to dumb it down for non-techies watching to understand it better.
About the filter efficiency, it did seem like the efficiency was too good here! ...the Fram Racing oil filter is 94% at 20 microns 4548-12, so seems like they would be using one from http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf with the HP6A NASCAR model.

when i worked at a major trencher MFG. we did a lot of work on separating air from the oil in the main oil tank. in the early 70s there was VERY little info available on that subject. but we did learn that gear pumps put a lot of air into the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back