what cat litter do you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, wonder if there'd be any interest in here for a Pets sub-forum.

Secondly, any recommendations on cat litter?

I've been using the Blue Buffalo natural walnut stuff for about a year now but I find the stuff has so much honking dust. Used to use the typical Tidy Cats in the plastic pails until a former co-worker scared me into thinking it was pretty harsh stuff.

If I remember correctly, I was told that it was that the clay from the litter can stick in cats paws and if they lick it out and end up eating it... it could cause harm on their digestive systems. That and the apparently the dust from the clay litter wasn't good for their lungs -- but this Blue Buffalo stuff has just as much if not more dust. Not sure how true any of this is.

I liked the walnut stuff at first but as of late the dust is like a dirt road.

We buy tidy cats scented clumping in bulk from chewy.

I have tried the lightweight stuff but it doesn't seem to be good for the cats.

Yesterday's News, made of recycled newspaper pressed into little pellets. Its much less messy than Tidy Cat and such. I made the switch after my cat got a little cut on the bottom of his paw. The vet said the Tidy cat stuff would get caught in the cut and cause an infection. I've stayed with it because its so convenient and no dust and doesn't get kicked out of the pan and spread all over the place like the Tidy Cat.

We have been using Tidy Cat 24/7 Multi-Cat all along and I've never felt that it was too dusty. One of our cats did pass away recently and he was only about 10 years old, I sure hope the litter didn't have anything to do with his seemingly early demise.
Our litter boxes sit on a concrete floor and I've never notices dusty pawprints or anything like that down there. Also never noticed clumps of litter stuck to any paws, although they certainly track/kick a small amount of it out of the boxes so it's nice to be able to sweep it up easily off the concrete.
I guess if a pet owner was worried enough about dust they could try sand? Won't get that handy clumping anymore, but maybe it would be the best thing for the cats themselves?
I was really looking forward to trying the Tidy Cat lightweight litter and was disappointed to find it to be atrociously awful in actual use. Didn't clump or absorb urine worth a steaming bowl of jacksquat. Don't remember it having any dust, though, maybe that is another low dust option to try?

All the fancy gimmick ones don't work worth a [censored] and are all hype and marketing. We use Swheat Scoop flushable. We don't flush it in our current house circa 1955 but my parents have been flushing 2 cats worth daily for 20 years and never had an issue. We did flush in our previous townhome that was built in 2005.

https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-attract-cat/dp/32365?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Dr.%20Elsey%27s&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u0spc0SF5_myYDvMmZw3Jz6SD2jSO7qFKjd5dEfjI7AdQyZuSinx50aAk8gEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Weve been going with this lately, we have problem poopers. 4 boxes for 2 cats and wed still find surprises. This helps, although nothings perfect.

My cats like the old fashioned Tidy Cats Multi Cat clay litter just fine. Only thing I hate about it is when the plastic trash bag gets a hole in in when I am carrying the dirty litter through the house to the trash...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
We buy tidy cats scented clumping in bulk from chewy.

I have tried the lightweight stuff but it doesn't seem to be good for the cats.

Tidy Cat. Best clumping cat litter out there. The bargain stuff ends up a soggy mess. Not hard clumps.

Empty cat litter jugs make excellent used oil containers.

Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
My cats like the old fashioned Tidy Cats Multi Cat clay litter just fine. Only thing I hate about it is when the plastic trash bag gets a hole in in when I am carrying the dirty litter through the house to the trash...

I double bag! Target shopping bags usually work great for me, ones from WM or convenience stores tend to be thing and holey (not holy).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
We've been using sWheat Scoop forever. Works great. Low/no dust and it clumps very well. Biodegradable too.
https://www.swheatscoop.com/

I like the idea, but I would be hesitant to use that given that we're on a septic system.

You don't have to flush it. It works well regardless.
smile.gif

I used to use Tidy Cats but it tracks too much, there would be cat litter all over the place.

I switched to Scoop Away from Costco, it doesn’t clump as well but it doesn’t track.

Can’t win I guess.

Fresh Step...

If you don’t want the Paw Points on the side of the box,
send them to Blind Cat Rescue in St. Paul’s, North Carolina...

You can do this by snail mail,
just cut them out,
or use the Paw Points web site to donate them...

A box has 25-50 points, 700-800 gets free litter, and there are other rewards too..

Last edited:
I get the Arm & Hammer clump and seal... It is a bit pricey not on sale. But it does clump up the best from all that I've used.

Only time I've used cat litter is training a kitten or after surgery and have to be kept inside. Otherwise the cats just go next door.

Tidy Cat with containers saved for used oil. Auto Zone takes my container and tosses it for me after getting rid of the oil. Can't get much easier.

Dr Elseys Ultra cat litter. I've learned not to believe in the 99% dust free [censored] and now I just put a blower a ways from the litter box and pour to get all the dust out. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back