Cheaper 3 ton jack stands made in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found some Hein-Werner 3 ton jack stands here: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349988_200349988

I see why everyone else is making them in China. The Chinese ones are going for $20 on sale.

The HW set is going for $70 (plus $15 shipping).

These are only a backup--I do oil changes on ramps. This HW set is more expensive than the ramps. Does anyone know of another Made in USA brand of jack stands?

OK, I realize my health is worth more than 85 bucks. My question is, can I get a quality backup for less?

I'd also like to throw in--have there been quality issues with Chinesium jackstands that folks have noticed? I seem to be doing ok with computers made in China, but of course a mistake in assembling the motherboard isn't going to crush my ribcage.

Last edited:
I've been using Torin Big Red jack stands from Menards (China) for the past 7 years or so, no issues and have never questioned them. I once used a GM branded trolley jack from Kmart that bent and rendered it trash. Didn't drop the vehicle, but I noticed it after I lowered the vehicle. I've had 2 Harbor Freight jacks (one 4 ton and sold that one, got a new Daytona one which is rumored to be the same as a new Snap on one by the Garage Journal peeps), both have been excellent.

Cliff notes: I've used China jack stands without issue for 7 years. My LR3 weighs nearly 6000lbs, so that's more than your vehicles weigh.

Glad i stumbled on this thread, just noticed Sears has a 4 ton pair for cheaper than the 3 ton. Going to buy those. They are giving stuff away, must be near the end.

Haven't heard of anyone dying from the Harbor Freight stands and they sell a lot of them.

Watch the height on those 4 ton sears jack stands. Some of them are very tall and too tall to fit under my vehicles when jacked to the limit of my jack.

Why not just stack some wood under the car while it's on the ramps?

Just kidding. My anecdotal experience is with using cheap Chinese made stands for 10 years on my own (plus my dad's for another 10+ years before that), no issues, even the 20 year old pair are holding together fine.

Good point. The sears 4 ton stands have a minimum height of 12 inches. Since the front of the car would be up on ramps, that should give me enough clearance, although I think I'll check that out just to be sure. Between the ramps and the normal clearance of the frame, I should have 12 inches.

I would be driving the cars up my Rhino ramps, using them as backup.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Watch the height on those 4 ton sears jack stands. Some of them are very tall and too tall to fit under my vehicles when jacked to the limit of my jack.

I use Harbor Freight 6 ton jack stands. Overly heavy duty for what I use them on, no concerns with them failing.

I even use them with the 1970 VW Beetle. 12k pounds of capacity for a 1,900 pound car, that I’m only holding up half of it.

I like these better.

http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-professional-4-ton-jack-stands-one/p-00950163000P?SID=KAx20130502xViglink&utm_medium=2470763|6157437|11339607&aff=Y&PID=6157437&AID=11339607

The Harbor Freight 6 tons stands are absolutely massive and beefy. The 3 ton sets are also built extremely well for an amazing price. I've looked at the welds and overall quality of a bunch of different jack stands (like store brands, Duralast, Torin/Black Jack, Hyper Tough), the welds on most of them are ugly and in some cases look criminal. I own three sets of the HF 3 tons and they all have great looking welds. The paint job is great too. I've been using them for years now without an issue.

Instead of spending a lot of money for one set of jack stands, I believe in hedging by having multiple sets of cheaper jack stands under a car (even if it's supporting just a single end) as well as the jack itself. Depending on what I'm doing I don't have to move around much (like fluid changes) so this usually works out for me. Even the best jack stands can fail or be defective. At least if I'm using multiple sets the odds all of them will fail are lower.

I have a 6 yon set from Harbor Freight I've had probably 8 years and they are sturdy, think I got on sale for $30 or 35. Also have a craftsman set from sears I got for $29 probably 10 years ago, I think those are 3 or 4 ton.
I like the 6 ton ones from HF better since the base is wider and more stable.
The Craftsman ones are just as well made, just smaller.

Its really looking like the Chinese made ones aren't inferior in quality. I haven't read of anyone complaining about them. OK looks like I'll go ahead and buy the Craftsman 4 ton.

Thanks for the contributions here, everyone. There is a wealth of experience here at this site.

You will have to lurk craigslist/ letgo/ whatever to find a decently cheap set of US made jack stands.

I drove a 4 hour round trip last year to get a set of old school hein werners. I used to collect floor jacks, patience and a strong enough to desire to drive far to get them is the name of the game.

I got my 6 ton Hein Werner jack stands from Zoro Tools. I paid $160. They had a great online coupon, so I went for it. They were normally $200 no matter where I looked online. If you can wait, I'm sure Zoro Tools will have another 20% or 25% off coupon that can be used on Hein Werner jack stands.

About a month ago, I got an amazing deal at a pawn shop. I paid $70 for 4 3 ton Hein Werner jack stands. Most of my tools were bought second-hand at a pawn shop. The only downside to buying from pawn shops is that you never know what they will have in stock and when they will have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back