Hard/deliberate shifting? 2017 Impala 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

This issue was brought up in a recent Impala review in the vehicle section (the OP's first post) and it got me thinking, are there any updates or info that anyone knows about to help with this issue?
If so, how does one go about looking them up to see if any updates apply to your car?
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub..._-_#Post4698348

I did a Google search and found quite a few have complained about this. Like I mentioned in the BITOG thread, it is noticeable to us as well, but it bugs my wife more. She misses the harder/quicker acceleration from a stop light than what I do, but I do know what she is talking about

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala...n-shifting.html

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you describe how the transmission shifts? The one I test drove (two different times) seemed to shift nice and smooth, but those were only 20-25 min test drives. The test drives were in cold weather (-25 deg), if that makes any difference. I did notice that the trans seemed to like to hold onto the higher gears until I was into the throttle pretty good, but plenty of power from the 3.6 once it did downshift. I remember thinking it's been tuned for fuel economy rather than instant response. My order rolls down the assembly line March 26 according to the dealer, I week for GM engineers to tweak the trans tune!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Can you describe how the transmission shifts? The one I test drove (two different times) seemed to shift nice and smooth, but those were only 20-25 min test drives. The test drives were in cold weather (-25 deg), if that makes any difference. I did notice that the trans seemed to like to hold onto the higher gears until I was into the throttle pretty good, but plenty of power from the 3.6 once it did downshift. I remember thinking it's been tuned for fuel economy rather than instant response. My order rolls down the assembly line March 26 according to the dealer, I week for GM engineers to tweak the trans tune!
laugh.gif

It is just on the slow side. The shifts are more deliberate/slow, almost like one is driving a standard and taking their time finding the gears.
If I accelerate harder from a stop sign/light, it seems to work OK but under normal driving conditions, it takes its time finding/going into the gears.

To be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to it whether it is worse cold or hot? I just drive it, I notice it, but it doesn't bother me as much as my wife.

We have only had the car on the Hwy once, and that was bringing it home the first time back in November. I can't say I noticed anything then but then again, we were preoccupied with everything else our new car had to offer.
It rode super smooth on the hwy and was very smooth/linear passing vehicles. I don't recall any slow type gear hunting when doing that but then again, it was likely already in 6th gear.

My '13 XTS occasionally shifts very hard from 3rd to 4th. I complained several times while it was under warranty and the dealer did download a revised PCM software that only helped a little. When it does it, it shifts HARD into 4th.

As a proud member of the "early adopters" club, I can say I haven't seen any problems with my 13 Impala. The transmission is sometimes a little slow shifting in city traffic - by that I mean it goes from one gear to the next rather slowly. I don't really find it that annoying, just the way it is.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
As a proud member of the "early adopters" club, I can say I haven't seen any problems with my 13 Impala. The transmission is sometimes a little slow shifting in city traffic - by that I mean it goes from one gear to the next rather slowly. I don't really find it that annoying, just the way it is.

I think, from what I have read, that is correct. These 6spds just shift this way, which could mean they're programed for fuel mileage? I had it out tonight doing some errands and was paying particular attention to it. I did find it just a tad deliberate changing gears but the acceleration right after made up for it.
If anything, I thought it worked exceptionally good tonight but the car was still warm when I took it out. I will pay closer attention when it is cold(er) and I am betting it will be more noticeable then.
My wife drives about 10kms one way to work, which, imo, explains why she dislikes it some as the tranny really doesn't have a whole lot of time to warm up. She has a heavy foot and likes to leave the lights/stops signs hard, but I think, due to the cold and being a 6sp, she isn't going to get that unless she really steps into it.
Just driving around tonight, at around +2C out, and with the car still fairly warm, I could really feel the H/P for some reason? It seemed exceptionally peppy to me tonight but maybe that was due to me playing trying to get a better feel with the transmission?

Personally, I can live with it. My wife, well, hopefully she can get use to it, and if not, I'll remind her that it doesn't have the start/stop feature that she detested when we took some Malibus for some test rides.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back