2002 Infinity Q45 smoking under hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Q45 Infinity with approximately 205k miles.

What would cause excess smoke under the hood. Oil cap is in place and car is running fine. A lot of smoke coming out from under the hood.
Will be towing the car to be safe.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Look to see if you have valve cover gaskets that may be leaking oil into the exhaust.

"On to" the exhaust I meant.

Look to see if you have valve cover gaskets that may be leaking oil into the exhaust.

Looks like oil leaking onto the exhaust. Maybe a broken oil line. Haven't checked anything else. We had to tow it.

Originally Posted By: Gito

Looks like oil leaking onto the exhaust. Maybe a broken oil line. Haven't checked anything else. We had to tow it.

What kind of "oil line?" Does it have an oil cooler?

If you have it while it is smoking, you should open the hood and try to localize where it is coming from.

But yes, the most common reason for smoke without the car breaking down or completely catching on fire is an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust.

Turns out it was a radiator hose that came off and sprayed coolant on the exhaust manifolds.

Next time you can usually tell by the smell and color of the smoke. Oil usually results in bluish/black colored smoke with that truck exhaust smell. Coolant results in a white cloud that smells somewhat sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back