2006 Acura TSX ATF D&F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please correct me if I did something wrong in my D&F, I followed this procedure:

1- Drained old ATF ~2.5 quarts, added nearly 2.5 quart of ATF while car was on ramps.

2- Drove around the neighborhood, like for 5 mins in lower gears and speed. Drained another ~3.1 quarts and added almost ~3.2 quarts.

Now going to do another one in a week time frame.

Question is, did I overfill? Also, on '2' should I have driven at highway speeds for torque convertor or I should be fine?

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

P.S: There's varying information about capacity on various forums, some say to add 3 quarts, some say 3L, some say 3.2-3.5 quarts and have even seen 2.5 quarts too
frown.gif

Sounds good to me.

Longer/faster may have been better to mix more but you are fine.

Is there no dipstick to check fluid level?

If not, adding same Amount you took out seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Your method works assuming the level was correct to begin with.

Is there a procedure you can use to determine the level? Remember that it probably needs to be checked while the fluid is warm.

When I did my drain/refill on my Accord,it took exactly three quarts to get it to the top of the full mark on the dipstick. Do we have the same transmissions?

This all sounds fine. I usually measure what I take out then put that amount back in, but I use the dipstick to check the level also. Did you change the filter?

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
This all sounds fine. I usually measure what I take out then put that amount back in, but I use the dipstick to check the level also. Did you change the filter?

I didn't change the filter yet, question is how important it is?

Also, by any chance do you know Drain and Fill ATF quantity from manual or Acura/Honda?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Is... There ... No .... Dipstick?

Yes, there's dipstick. But it was giving some misleading information yesterday. Maybe because I should have checked the level after a few hrs or when car was warm.

Ive done 25 of these drop and fills in the past 13 years or so. My Honda/Acura 2.4L cars have always drained out about 2.5 to 2.75 quarts, never more than 3 quarts.

I put 2.5 quarts back in, drive it around for a bit, and then check using the dipstick. If its low, add a bit more. Its never above the full point putting 2.5 quarts in.

Dont forget to change the one time use aluminum crush washer. They are supposed to be changed every time you loosen the drain plug. Available on eBay or Amazon in ten packs for cheap.

Ive never changed a transmission filter, as Ive been told they are permanently mounted in the case and you have to dissemble the case to change it. Dont know if that's true or not, but as long as you keep good fluid in it, it will be fine. A drop and fill every 30K miles will keep your transmission fluid healthy. It actually takes me less time to change the transmission fluid than the engine oil, as its so quick and easy.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ive done 25 of these drop and fills in the past 13 years or so. My Honda/Acura 2.4L cars have always drained out about 2.5 to 2.75 quarts, never more than 3 quarts.

I put 2.5 quarts back in, drive it around for a bit, and then check using the dipstick. If its low, add a bit more. Its never above the full point putting 2.5 quarts in.

Dont forget to change the one time use aluminum crush washer. They are supposed to be changed every time you loosen the drain plug. Available on eBay or Amazon in ten packs for cheap.

It means I am quite over, I guess? Should I be concerned or it can wait for a week for another drain and fill?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
It means I am quite over, I guess? Should I be concerned or it can wait for a week for another drain and fill?

A little over should be fine. The consensus is that 3 drain and fills changes a majority of the oil in the transmission. Waiting a week to change is fine. Then do one drain and fill every 30K miles once you have a baseline.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

I didn't change the filter yet, question is how important it is?

Also, by any chance do you know Drain and Fill ATF quantity from manual or Acura/Honda?

They designed the transmission with a filter so I suppose that it's important. With all of the grey paste that I've cleaned from magnets in transmission pans of other cars that I've serviced, I wouldn't want to leave all of that stuff in such a small filter. The filter probably sits on top of the transmission and is easy to change. Follow the transmission hoses from the radiator until you find the filter.

I don't know the normal drain and fill amount which is why I just measure what I take out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back