Are v6 engines being over stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinions. Looked online at a 2018 Navigator (not to purchase). It has a 3.5 twin turbo's 450 HP. I had an 2000 with the intec engine hemi head that I believe could easily make 450 HP with a little tweaking without turbocharging. Do you think the V6 is being over stressed and there my be problems in the future.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Your opinions. Looked online at a 2018 Navigator (not to purchase). It has a 3.5 twin turbo's 450 HP. I had an 2000 with the intec engine hemi head that I believe could easily make 450 HP with a little tweaking without turbocharging. Do you think the V6 is being over stressed and there my be problems in the future.

Nope. Vast majority of time in life of engine in majority of vehicles a small fraction of power is needed to actually move it. The stress is mainly related to the person behind the wheel.

I don't think so......
some perspective maybe
at one time engines were over 20 litres ,overhead cams and all -just after the first war.
every generation they have got smaller ,more effiecant as long as governments stay away a bit.
Heat is the killer the only killer now because computers keep the revs in check and if all else fails (coolant loss) it will 'save' the engine.
The new Ford turbos are 'wife' proof ,siphon cooled bearing in the turbo ,oil cooled pistons etc
They are not your '80s turbo.
Your wife can race to the mall ,shut the engine down red hot and no damage will occur .
consider also this engine in a pick-up over loaded ,on vacation up mountains for years now ...... dont worry. The manufacturer has a lot at stake and are very careful ,that said read the manual and follow maintenance requirements and suggestions.

Ant, if Ford has no problems putting this exact same engine in the Raptor, there will be no concerns in the Navigator. Ford still offers a full powertrain warranty on the Raptor, and it's nearly guaranteed to see much more severe treatment than hauling the kids to soccer practice.

It's also essentially the same engine as in the Ford GT. Making 650HP.

I have a friend that works for Ford and he told me years ago they beat the living tar out of the eccoboost motors just to see there limits. They are an impressive motor design with plenty of potential the one you buy is not working all that hard and can sustain a significant more HP and still be reliable.

Doubtful. These engines are being designed from the oil pan to valvecovers for that kind of power, its not like just hanging a turbo on an existing engine and posting youtube videos of the explosion the way the import tuner crowd does. Going all the way back to the old Chrysler 2.2 and 80s turbo volvos, those engines were designed to be turbocharged and had crankshafts and journal sizes that were as beefy as a typical v8. Today, they've also addressed some issues that tended to fail back then, like cylinder head clamping force to contain the higher cylinder pressures over the life of the engine. The limiting factor now isn't so much the physical forces on the small parts- because the parts aren't really that small, its just the air gap over the pistons that's small. The limiting factor is how much pressure you can build without detonation using available fuels. Things like DI help, but introduce their own issues. That's one reason GM (and others) are lobbying for higher octane pump gasolines.

Glade to hear this. Was really thinking about the turbo's putting a lot of pressure on the engine. Except for 3/4 ton and up pickups do you think the V8 will die out or is it already dead. Looking at the new navigators on TV commercials was just curious what engine this land yacht had. Could not believe the price. 70,000-90,000 dollars. Never paid that much for a house.

Not at all. There are 2.0T engines making nearly the same.

Both Ford GT's finished the entire Sebring 12 hour last weekend. They run twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboosts. 647 hp on the road versions.

Glade to hear this. Was really thinking about the turbo's putting a lot of pressure on the engine. Except for 3/4 ton and up pickups do you think the V8 will die out or is it already dead. Looking at the new navigators on TV commercials was just curious what engine this land yacht had. Could not believe the price. 70,000-90,000 dollars. Never paid that much for a house.

Well, the truly "big" v8s died years ago, there's nothing over 6.4 liters is left, and nothing truly big-block/big-bore. Overall, the v8 isn't dead yet, but its applications will decrease. Certainly cars like the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang will keep at least one v8 option for a while longer, as will bigger trucks (especially when gasoline remains cheaper than diesel, and when the up-front cost of a diesel engine is so high that it negates any longevity advantage for moderate to occasional trailer-towers). People have been foretelling the doom of the v8, and in particular the pushrod v8, for 40 years. Its not going anywhere, its still the most compact way to get a low-stress yet high output engine, not to mention the neck-snapping response and classic sound that are desirable in certain market segments. I've driven an Ecoboost Mustang, loved it, and it impressed the heck out of me performance-wise... but it didn't make me smile ear-to-ear the way a GT350, Camaro SS, or Challenger SRT-8 will.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Both Ford GT's finished the entire Sebring 12 hour last weekend. They run twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboosts. 647 hp on the road versions.

You have a source for that last bit?

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers

Wikipedia

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers

WIKI.

Just to add some perspective, if you go back in time to around the 50’s, a lot of farm trucks that hauled hay or whatever had a small 4 banger up front. Gearing has a lot to do with the equation.

Nope. In Europe engines with 100hp+ per liter are common for a long time.

True!

Halo cars and marketing on wheels.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Nope. In Europe engines with 100hp+ per liter are common for a long time.

No doubt. That type of power density is old hat TBH.

Now if Ford could only race-prove consistent crankshaft quality, that would be grrreat
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back