Delo 15W30!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where I can still find some of these unicorn tears? Is it discontinued?? I really want to try it in my 6.0 PSD!
We're in central Florida and tow horses alot so I think it would be a perfect fit for my truck.

Napa has the best price ($22.49 a gallon) but you need to order it. Amazon has it for $69.05 if you buy 3, 1 gallon jugs.
Amazon prices can fluctuate up or down.

Maybe try a Chevron distributor. Normal store prices are crazy considering Chevron says this oil should be at a competitive price to their 15w-40.

Delo SD is fine for the 6.0, but no real advantage over any of the current 10w30.
You could blend 3 gallons of 10w30, and 1 gallon of a straight 30 weight, you would be very close to a 15w30, if that's your goal.
Frankly, Delo 30 weight is a 20w30 based on specs, and would do as well in Florida.
Delo SD is still offered, try a Chevron distributor.

Last edited:
You can try mixing two oils of the same formulation. A synthetic SAE 30 (flows as a 10w30) with a syn 15w40 would do the trick. The Amsoil HD CI-4+ oils would likely work great in this application.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
You can try mixing two oils of the same formulation. A synthetic SAE 30 (flows as a 10w30) with a syn 15w40 would do the trick. The Amsoil HD CI-4+ oils would likely work great in this application.
The whole point of the SD 15w-30 was to get the properties they wanted at a conventional price.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
The whole point of the SD 15w-30 was to get the properties they wanted at a conventional price.

Yeah I understand, but $23 a gallon for conventional oil is kinda expensive, isn't it?

Gallons of the Amsoil CI-4+ HD oils can be had for ~ $30 a gallon if you do the PC 6 month membership and free shipping w/ 4 gallons. I dunno, but the amsoil seems like a much better value to me.

Yea I'm not into the custom "blending" thing, especially in the PSD which is a known killer of oil. I hear so much about the 15W30, and finally my OCI is up for the truck and now I can't find the stuff anywhere! I seen it on Amazon and agree, $70 for 3 gallons is a bit high for a conventional oil...

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Yea I'm not into the custom "blending" thing, especially in the PSD which is a known killer of oil. I hear so much about the 15W30, and finally my OCI is up for the truck and now I can't find the stuff anywhere! I seen it on Amazon and agree, $70 for 3 gallons is a bit high for a conventional oil...

The blending thing works if you use the same formulation. I’ve done it and tested the final result. The as-tested viscosities were within 3% of the values from the online Widman Calculator.

The Amsoil SAE 30 (ACD) and 15w40 (AME) both have the same VI of 146 so I think neither one uses any VII. It’s all just quality synthetic base oils to give it a naturally high VI and strong resistance to shearing in your 6.0 PSD.

If you do a 2/1 blend of SAE 30 to 15w40 it will give you:

83 cSt @ 40c
12.4 cSt @ 100c
VI of 146
TBN of 12.1
And a horse dose of Zinc, Phosphorus, and Calcium

Delo 15w30 specs

89.1 cSt @ 40c
12.0 cSt @ 100c
VI of 128
TBN of 9.0
CJ-4 type levels of Zinc, Phosphorous and Calcium.

The Amsoil mix has better specs and a HTHS of 3.7 so it looks like a winner to me. I’d use it in my diesel if it didn’t have all the emissions [censored]...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Anyone know where I can still find some of these unicorn tears? Is it discontinued?? I really want to try it in my 6.0 PSD!
We're in central Florida and tow horses alot so I think it would be a perfect fit for my truck.

What makes this oil so great compared to other HDEO's?

Well I gave up my search and ran across some Valvoline Premium Blue for on sale at Rural King for $12 gallon so I think I'm going to give it a go, I hear good things about it and heck if its good enough for the Cummins guys...
smile.gif

Ouch, it's $45/gal on eBay and $69/3-gal on Amazon right now. I have like ten gallons in stock, so I have not been looking. The prices are crazy ...
frown.gif

It's great oil, but at that price, I'd only use it for new motor (rebuild) break-in ... It would not be my daily driver choice due to cost ...

I think I paid like $35 for 3-gal boxes back last year off Amazon. Maybe the price will come down again if you wait a month or so ...

If I had a PSD, I'd be back looking at that Ford list to see what else I could come up with? Maybe Mystic JT8 or something ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back