Out of balance or alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, on my new car in my sig has taken a beating with potholes this winter. I can now tell some vibration in the steering wheel especially when getting on the freeway in the morning. I was thinking maybe a wheel weight may have come off, but the car will pull slightly to the left now. Should I be concerned about anything else here?

May have knocked a weight off. May have bent a rim. have tires rebalanced for the vibration, and check for proper pressure as this can cause a slight pull. once tire balance and pressure are squared away the vibration should go away and if the pull persists then get car aligned.

I've sold thousands of tires, and I was sure that pull on front of Stratus was alignment.

Nope,belt on inside turned loose on one side.

Rough roads can separate tire belt so it bounces and pulls.

Originally Posted By: 40w8
I've sold thousands of tires, and I was sure that pull on front of Stratus was alignment.

Nope,belt on inside turned loose on one side.

Rough roads can separate tire belt so it bounces and pulls.

If you drive sanely it probably shouldn't be an issue. Potholes are not a signal to accelerate regardless of what some drivers think.

I'm talking about any rough asphalt texture on Interstate, and you can't dodge all pot holes at 70 mph.

We were selling those average oem replacement tires like 78 series with max cold inflation of 35psi.

On my own vehicles even not my brand, they seemed to get a bump (separation) when I ran psi like.

I've run HR 130mph on sports cars in 70's and would wear out occasional nail not loosing air to know.

I 'll run Michelin pss or 4s from now or until something shows better.

OP, if by chance you bent a wheel, there are places that can repair them locally if you live in a large city. Columbus, OH has 3 shops that repair wheels. It's about $105. Wheels Unlimited does it while you wait if you make an appointment.

99% of the time, an alignment will not fix a pull.

Sounds like you have a bent/bad tire. The belts in a tire can be bent, they are steel after all.

Last edited:
Belts are flexible since they are woven like fabric.

When tire hits something hard, one side of steel lets go inside, and belt rolls conical making tire want to turn easier in one direction.

Three main types of tread separation : Internal so hard to notice, exterior tread thrown off while still holding air, and the dreaded whole tire explosion.

Just from the way you describe the vibration issue, I'd say it's tires out of balance/bent wheel more than the alignment. As on a brand new car, the suspension & alignment is very resistant to these bad roads for the first few years until it wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 40w8
Belts are flexible since they are woven like fabric.

When tire hits something hard, one side of steel lets go inside, and belt rolls conical making tire want to turn easier in one direction.

Three main types of tread separation : Internal so hard to notice, exterior tread thrown off while still holding air, and the dreaded whole tire explosion.

Ah .... Mmmmm ...... Not exactly.

First, the steel belts are a series of parallel wires placed at about a 15° angle to the circumference. There are 2 - angle left, and angle right. So No! They are not woven like cloth.

While you can impact a tire hard enough to damage the belts, the usual way a separation takes place is because of an inadequacy in the design - typically not enough rubber between the edges of the 2 belts.

And while there are different types of separations in the belt area, by far the most common type occurs just under the edge of the top belt, which then grows into a bulge, then continues to grow until it detaches from the rest of the tire. While it may look different as the separation grows, its more a series of stages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Ah .... Mmmmm ...... Not exactly.

Now now now ... don't confuse us with facts.

An ACCURATE source of information is SO APPRECIATED.

So I had a tech ride with me and he could tell there was a vibration, the alignment wasn't bad. When I got the car back I was told a wheel weight was replaced and just signed something and that was that. When I got home I now notice the tires were rotated (I had a curbed front right rim that is now in the back left), so probably nothing else was done...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back