New Honda vs new Mazda vs used Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'll be buying a new car for my wife within the next few months as we sell the Cadillac in my signature and the Mazda 6 my wife now drives will be loaned to my college age son until he finishes school. The Explorer is mine (company car) and will be replaced late this year with a 2018 or 2019 Explorer.

The 3 options we are considering are a new Mazda 6 (possibly the turbo model when available), a new Honda Accord (Sport with 2.0T and AT), or a 2015 Lexus GS350 with about 20K miles on it (maybe CPO, maybe not, not F type). Unless we went with a non-turbo Mazda 6 Touring to save some money (I don't want the 1.5 CVT Honda), we're in the $30K-ish price range. We have historically kept our cars in the 8-10 year range, and my wife generally drives 8K to 10K miles a year as she has a short commute and we take my SUV for any long trips.

I have done my own research and think the current ranking is Lexus, Honda, Mazda at this point. Ultimately, I'm fine with all 3 and will let my wife make the final decision after she drives them. That's how we picked out her last car and it has worked out well.

I would love any well informed opinions (especially from current owners of any of these vehicles) or any considerations I should be aware of as we are narrowing down our choices. Thank you.

Last edited:
I love my 17 Avalon. I call it the Dislexus. More luxury, space and comfort than your other choices. The 19 will be a new model but you could get a deal on an 18.

Lexus GS or ES??? Just checking to be definite.

ES is like a fancy Camry.

GS is a unique RWD toyota platform (Im sure shared with certain things, but not a run of the mill Toyota). So at least its unique.

The ES, Mazda and Accord (and Camry) are similar types of car. GS is different.

Living in DFW, cant imagine that much winter weather is to weigh in to the RWD consideration.

Id look closely at a good deal with CPO warranty on the GS, but be ready to walk on a 6-cyl version if the deal isnt great.

I have the Touring 2.0T so I can not review on ride of the sport but in sport mode it does tighten up the suspension it is noticeable difference. The 10speed is nice and like butter. The gas mileage is good 36 mpg highway and 27city. It does have a smaller gas tank than years before so getting 400 miles to the tank will be a small challenge. It feels large inside and the dash is clean and simple. Infotainment is nice and seamless. Only had one issue and that was when I plugged in my iwatch. Other than that so far so good. Power is nice and torquey. WHen you put it is sport it tightens up and really moves. Honda underestimated the hp and torque. The torque is close to 300 at the wheels. Mine has leather it’s nice and comfortable but a good quality type. Room in the rear seat is Lexus LS leg room. Visibility is good. Road noise is quite but I think could be better with better tires. Trunk is large. I love the new style but most others won’t it takes time to grow on most. Also regular gas only no need for premium. Hope this helps. I can take more photos if you want

V6 GS, thank you. Looking for something with a little more driver excitement/involvement than the Camry/ES. We originally had a used E class Benz on the list too, but the longer term repair and maintenance cost on that scared me just a little bit.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lexus GS or ES??? Just checking to be definite.

ES is like a fancy Camry.

GS is a unique RWD toyota platform (Im sure shared with certain things, but not a run of the mill Toyota). So at least its unique.

The ES, Mazda and Accord (and Camry) are similar types of car. GS is different.

Living in DFW, cant imagine that much winter weather is to weigh in to the RWD consideration.

Id look closely at a good deal with CPO warranty on the GS, but be ready to walk on a 6-cyl version if the deal isnt great.

V6 GS, thank you. Looking for something with a little more driver excitement/involvement than the Camry/ES. We originally had a used E class Benz on the list too, but the longer term repair and maintenance cost on that scared me just a little bit.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
I have the Touring 2.0T so I can not review on ride of the sport but in sport mode it does tighten up the suspension it is noticeable difference. The 10speed is nice and like butter. The gas mileage is good 36 mpg highway and 27city. It does have a smaller gas tank than years before so getting 400 miles to the tank will be a small challenge. It feels large inside and the dash is clean and simple. Infotainment is nice and seamless. Only had one issue and that was when I plugged in my iwatch. Other than that so far so good. Power is nice and torquey. WHen you put it is sport it tightens up and really moves. Honda underestimated the hp and torque. The torque is close to 300 at the wheels. Mine has leather it’s nice and comfortable but a good quality type. Room in the rear seat is Lexus LS leg room. Visibility is good. Road noise is quite but I think could be better with better tires. Trunk is large. I love the new style but most others won’t it takes time to grow on most. Also regular gas only no need for premium. Hope this helps. I can take more photos if you want

Nice ride. I kind of like the design actually. I appreciate your input.

I will say I was in your exact shoes also and was looking at Lexus GS350 Fsports. But I stopped looking due to the maintence cost and the residual lost on luxury vehicles. Also requirements for premium gas. My thoughts were I could get a newer car for the same and still stay in budget also not having to perform all the maintenance that most luxuries require. Honda, Lexus, Toyota then Mazda were my standings. No matter what you choose you will be fine with any of those. Really can’t go wrong.

I'd go with the GS. No experience with any of them though. Seems like it'd be the most fun and gets you more bang for your buck.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Just curious why the 2018 Camry is not in the running?

Truth be told, my 82 year old mother in law drives a Camry (last generation), and my 75 year old mom is going to buy an 2018 Avalon soon, and my wife does not want to drive the same kind of car (even if it is a different body style) as them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I'm curious as to why Mazda is ranked last on your list? Has your current 6 given you problems?

No, our Mazda has been a near perfect car (even though the 2010 model is kind of a Mazda/Ford mashup similar to the Fusion). I may have to rethink my rankings once the new turbo is available in the 6. Plus I think my wife just wants to try something a little different.

have you had your wife test drive or sit in all 3 vehicles? Research only takes you so far, you need a butt in seat. The decision may be obvious once you sit in it and test drive it

Check out https://www.autosofdallas.com/ , I drove hundreds of miles to buy my Mercedes SLK from them in your backyard. They only deal in high end late model luxury cars at no haggle discount prices. They have 118 used Lexus, and 192 used Mercedes in stock. All still with factory warranty. Most of these cars come off lease and they only take the very best, as new cars. I recommend you at least test ride a Mercedes C300, they have a bunch of them for under $25K These later model Mercedes seem to be very reliable for myself and my friends and pretty simple to maintain.

My last car was also a Mercedes, and I believe that car saved my life when I was run over by an 18 wheeler.

My sister has a Lexus IS350C, and a Lexus RX 350. The handling, comfort, performance, and luxury just don't compare to a Mercedes.

These luxury cars take a huge hit when they leave the lot. I paid $28K for my as new SLK with less then 30K miles, that originally cost $60K. Let somebody else take that depreciation and own a magnificent auto for a steal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
have you had your wife test drive or sit in all 3 vehicles? Research only takes you so far, you need a butt in seat. The decision may be obvious once you sit in it and test drive it

I agree. Everytime I put 2 or 3 cars on my list of vehicles, I often(but, not always) buy something else entirely after all of my test drives.

All 3 of those cars would be a good choice. Just pick whichever one she likes the most on a test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back