PCV Catch Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have been running a catch can on my 2011 kia Optima since 2012. It has the 2.4 GDI engine. I change the oil every 10000 km and empty the can every 5000 km in the winter and 10000 km in the summer.

How much oil is it catching each time?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have been running a catch can on my 2011 kia Optima since 2012. It has the 2.4 GDI engine. I change the oil every 10000 km and empty the can every 5000 km in the winter and 10000 km in the summer.

How much oil is it catching each time?

I would not call it oil that I am collecting in the catch can. It is more gas smelling slime. When I first installed the catch can I was only getting about 2 ounces of goo. It has slowly increased to where I get about 8 ounces every time I check it. (5000 km in winter, 10000 km in the summer)

That "slime" or "goo" can be mostly water in the winter, depending on the temperature of the can.

Catch cans, along with unclogging the troublesome EGR system, have been hot topics on the PriusChat.com forum the past few months.

I have two different catch cans connected sequentially in my Tahoe. That works well, but now I'd like a catch can in our Mazda, and I will transfer this setup there.

I am thinking about building a catch can out of 3 or 4" DWV copper pipe, with copper tube going almost all the way to the bottom, and steel wool in the middle. Maybe even the accending spiral out of steel wool. I think copper will work better then PVC for heat transfer.

I have very little space constraints under the hood of Tahoe. Maybe I will even place it under the bumper cover or in the wheel well.

My question is about copper. Is it suitable for that application? Would the metal react in some way with catched material that would produce some chemicals detrimental to the engine internals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back