yearly insurance renewal-progressive vs auto owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use an independent agent for my insurance needs (home, auto, umbrella). I price check every year and if its less than $100/year I typically don't bother with it. However, every 2 years I do an in-depth review and search. I priced with another independent agent this year - just to make sure my agent is doing the best job for me. They actually came back pretty close and recommended the same company. No accidents or tickets.

I will be switching from Nationwide, who I've been with for the past two years, due to rising premiums. I will be saving ~$350/year due to switching. The question is, apples to apple for the most part on coverages the choice is between Progressive and Auto Owners, they're only a few dollars different.

Has anyone used either of these companies and would like to share your experiences? Leaning towards the auto owners because the umbrella seems to extend a bit more, is more flexible, and they have been ranked highly from JD Powers (even with as little faith as I normally put into those type of surveys).They also just seem to have a bit more coverage items and perks built into the insurance than progressive.

I don't have any experience with either, ive been with geico for years and premiums keep going up every 6 months that I pay it. We've been ticket and accident free. I will be shopping in the fall but my take is that once they reel you in, they slowly increase your premiums.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I don't have any experience with either, ive been with geico for years and premiums keep going up every 6 months that I pay it. We've been ticket and accident free. I will be shopping in the fall but my take is that once they reel you in, they slowly increase your premiums.

That's why I like to use a company where you can lock in a yearly premium. So much nicer than dealing with it every 6 months.

I think it varies State to State, here in MA there is very little between companies because of crooked political insurance regulations.

Same in NY. Premiums go up 5-10%/year. If an agent does reach out to you, they seem to quote a price no one else can get, then it slowly goes up year after year.

Progressive is a very good company. Fixed my wife's car when some wild hogs ran out in front of her car and almost totaled it. They took good care of use in every way. When I went to write the check for the deductible, they said don't worry about it! Not sure if that was Progressive that did that or the body shop that ate the deductible.
Geico also has great rates and great service. They saved me a lot on my new car rates. I have them now. Use Progressive on my motorcycles.

I hate Progressive and dumped them recently. My wife was parked at a local ice cream stand. Her car was legally parked, engine off. Some idiot backed up into my wife's car and dented the plastic front bumper. I can think of no more clear cut case of " The other driver was at fault " Progressive dithered and delayed until I had a profane meltdown with one rep, who then actually helped solve the problem. Most Progressive reps cannot or will not help and repeatedly transfer you into the PHONE QUE WASTELANDS, where they hope you hang up. Aside from that one $200 accident, neither my wife of I have had an accident, claim, or moving violation in 17 years, yet the yearly rates kept going up.

My advice? Stay away from Progressive (delay tactics) and Enterprise Rentacar (discovered damage scams)

It's not uncommon for insurance rates to rise 5% to 10% a year.

For those who have had their rates lowered (for driving the exact same car-under the same exact miles, circumstances, etc.) please chime in.

There won't be many.

On the above post-it should read "with your existing insurance company".

I have Texas Farm Bureau insurance.

Every state has a "Farm Bureau" - - - check with them.

I have my vehicles (full coverage), tractors, tools, shop, RV, and the whole ranch with them for about $1200 a year (Except the Harley-Davidson is with Dairyland at $58 for 12 mos, liab only).

Nobody could touch that rate with a 10 foot pole!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back