Prestone may have discontinued Honda PS fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Honda-specific power steering fluid no longer appears on Prestone's website, and Advance Auto Parts no longer carries it. Walmart is almost out of stock on their supply of Prestone Honda PSF, and Amazon shows it as NLA.

What a shame since it is by FAR the lowest priced PSF that is OK to use in a Honda or Acura. And we all know that Honda's power steering systems suck and often need you to add fluid to them.

Occasionally, Napa has their house brand Honda PSF on sale for $3, but otherwise a bottle is $5 or so regardless of store and brand, unless you're lucky enough to get it during Napa's sale, or if there's a 30% off code at AAP that would make it $3.49.

What a shame since Walmart had it at half the price of any other Honda PSF anywhere! AAP used to charge $6.99 for it, for example.

I emailed Prestone and asked about it. I am awaiting their response. Motorking no longer works for Prestone

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What's so special about it?

I'd just run Mercon LV and be done with it.

the price! Walmart's price on the Prestone Honda PS was only $2.50 or so, which is HALF the price of anybody else selling any name brand or house brand Honda PSF!

You'd run Mercon LV in a Honda power steering system?
31.gif

I hear ya, I was just in the process of doing two different civic p/s flushes when I got the last few bottles before the changeover. I just bought some genuine Honda online, was about $5/bottle shipped, no tax.

Good riddance!! I bought an 04 Civic about a year ago and not knowing the previous history of the car I decided to be proactive and did a few drain and refills from the reservoir using prestone's Honda specific PSF. I was awarded with complete lack of assist on cold mornings when it was <20 degrees F. I then decided to try Oreilly's Honda compatible PSF with zero change of performance on cold mornings. I finally cracked and bought a case of genuine honda PSF and used about 7 12oz bottles to flush the system out and refill the reservoir. No problems with loss of assist when cold since. I always heard Honda PS systems were finicky but that is down right ridiculous! This to me says it wasn't a great product to begin with. I'm sure people from warmer climates would get away with never having any issues, but for cold weather performance it pains me to say that the Honda PSF is the way to go.

I can get Idemitsu’s Honda PSF for under $3/bottle, so this won’t be missed.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What's so special about it?

I'd just run Mercon LV and be done with it.

^^^Ohhh man, you don't want to do that in a Honda!

Most aftermarket Honda P/S fluids are OK until the temps drop however(see Tman220), when it get really cold outside, the aftermarket fluids ARE NOT as good as Genuine Honda P/S fluid. Stay with the Honda P/S fluid when possible

---UPDATE---

I got a reply from Prestone confirming that the Honda PSF is indeed discontinued. Of course they now recommend their "Asian" PSF which is more than DOUBLE the price!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Looks like it's AAP's 30% off promo codes and Napa's sale for whenever you need Honda PSF now

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I can get Idemitsu’s Honda PSF for under $3/bottle, so this won’t be missed.

The only Idemitsu PSF I can find is the universal one for Asian vehicles. What is the part number for the Honda-specific one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back