Another "Should I Change it?" - S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all - I'm pretty much already set on "no need to change it" but interested in everyone's opinion. Yes oil is relatively inexpensive and not a big deal to change it, but if (and big if) there's no benefit at all, why bother?

Car's situation:

• Only driven on weekends/garaged in somewhat stable climate
  • Always driven at least 20 miles when engine is fired, to avoid short tripping the oil
  • Castrol Edge EP 10W30 with OEM filter
  • Oil was changed 1 year, 1 month ago and has under 1200 miles on it
  • Consumes around half a quart per 1K (I don't track it closely, but I keep it full as it's an AP1, and they all consume some oil

I think that about covers it!

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that oil lasts far more than one year. I change by miles accumulated. UOA results show multi years old oil to be completely serviceable, retaining high TBN and so on.

Since you are not short tripping the car (my S2000 warms up in 5 miles) there won't be an issue. An honest guess is that oil probably lasts 4 or 5 years with zero degradation.

Last edited:
I used to be a 1 year changer; I don't bother any more; I ran 14 or 15 months and 14K miles on an EP oil.

WRT to keeping a exacting regimen,

I just don't care any mo oh ow. I don't care no mo.

No mo. No mo.
No mo. No mo.

Frankly with an EP oil and 12 miles; you could probably go 3-4 years.

Thanks for the replies all! Sounds like the next question is what's the shelf life of the case of Castrol Edge I have for the next 2 changes..ha ha.

Perhaps more importantly, extra points to simple_gifts for the Phil Collins reference.

Last edited:
My wife drives the Elantra about 8K miles a year.
The oil gets changed at 8K or so with whatever Synthetic is on the best roll back at walley world and a Fram ultra filter.
And i have Jiffy Lube do it with my oil and filter for $32 labor.

I drive my M3 less than 10,000 KM a year and that is me being very generous on using the car. Winter months the car is in indoor storage but not climate controlled. A couple of years ago I decided to only change the oil after I have taken the car out of storage and only if the weather gets warmer to work on the car. What I will is to get an UOA and make sure the oil level is topped up. Other than that I won't lose much sleep over this.

Under those conditions I think you'll be fine for two years or more. A UOA would eliminate the guess work. As far as shelf life of the oil, some say 4 years, others 5 years, imo a lot longer than that. Just store it where there aren't drastic swings in the temperature and shake it well before using it.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
An honest guess is that oil probably lasts 4 or 5 years with zero degradation.

Yes, it is well reported on here that time in the sump doesn't degrade oil.

Go by the miles driven.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Shame a car like that is an oil user. Drive it more often it that doesn't cure it sell it!

All (well, at least as widely reported on S2KI) AP1s burn some amount of oil; just a characteristic of the F20C engine. Not a big deal as long as you keep an eye on it.

every time you add a qt you fortify the oil with fresh additives, i would be more concerned about the filter after a year!!

My 2001 S2000 has 28000 miles, mint condition. In the past 9 years she has now only been driven a few thousand miles a year. M1 10W30 and OEM S2000 filter. I use to change the oil every year before storage. Now do it every 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back