How to get gasket back in the oil cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know an easy way to get the gasket back in oil cap. It slipped off and its acting like the three stooges as I try to put it back on. So far tried using the valve cover to push it back but no cigar.

Looks too stretched now, will probably pop back off again next time you take it off even if you managed to shoehorn it back on and get it back on the engine in place.

I did not add anything to the oil but rather had an unusual oil event.( Bacon thread) Did not think gasket can swell that much. Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Did not think gasket can swell that much. Thanks all.

They certainly can. I don't typically use high mileage oils, but from threads on here all (at least synthetic) oils have seal swelling additives and it shows up in gaskets. My Honda is a perfect example, when I have removed the valve cover to adjust the valves if the gasket comes out of the groove (which it always does) there is no way I can get it back in. I always have to replace the gasket with a new one no matter how good it may still look.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Perhaps this is a result of the "magic product" that was in there?

That's what I was thinking!

You never know......

Anyone know an easy way to get the gasket back in oil cap. It slipped off and its acting like the three stooges as I try to put it back on. So far tried using the valve cover to push it back but no cigar.

I had a similar situation with my rubber valve cover gaskets. They seemed way to long when i went to put them back on. I put them in my freezer just until they cooled down and firmed up a bit. They installed nice and easy and haven’t had any issues.

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy

I had a similar situation with my rubber valve cover gaskets. They seemed way to long when i went to put them back on. I put them in my freezer just until they cooled down and firmed up a bit. They installed nice and easy and haven’t had any issues.

Worth the try but did not work for me..surprised wife did not notice the oil seal in the freezer next to her ice cream =P
found out they sell at dealer for $3. On my way later to pick up. Thanks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back