Why don't females tell you when something is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Costco with my wife this morning. Took her Tahoe. Was pretty chilli so I turned the heater up. No heat. A few miles down the road still no heat and the gauge was barely off the bottom. Thermostat is stuck open.

So I ask her how long its been doing that. Her answer about 3 weeks. She has been wearing extra clothes to stay warm since the heater wasn't putting out warm air.

3 weeks!

Lotta guys don't know their bum from their elbow when it comes to vehicles, too.

With that said, my wife burned through a set of pads (right side only) on her Civic, after the caliper began to seize up. I drove the vehicle one weekend and asked how long it had been making that god awful grinding noise and braking bad? It had been more than a month.

So I don't know what 'cold' is where you live, but that would be a good recipe for massive fuel dilution in New England IMHO.

Of course it depends on how much she drove etc.

my mom was around dad and me would talk about cars. so she knew a LITTLE about cars. she was driving a 1963 Chrysler Mew Yorker Salon. she came home one day and said that it didnt feel right. she said it felt like the engine and transmission wasnt bolted together. that is exactally what was wrong.

My wife is a bit better than average. Youngest son is bad about car noises because he has the stereo cranked and couldn't hear trouble if it hit him on the nose.

Last edited:
Men and ladies think so differently about so many things that I found it hard to understand.

So now I just expect very different thinking from them and I am not ever disappointed.

I used to harp on my sister about having her oil changed. One day she came up to me all proud and said "I changed my oil myself!". Of course I almost fell over until I realized she meant she had checked her oil for the first time of her life and she was in her 40's.

Different planets. Remember the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

Man - "?"
Woman "Fine!"

If you are married and do not know what "Fine" really means, you have lot to learn!

My wife is 68 and my daughter 42. I have yet to figure either out. But it's been fun.

My wife has always been real good about telling me if she thinks something isn't quite right with her car. She learned the importance of that from a related family experience when we were newlyweds over 37 years ago.

My brother's mother-in-law was spending some time with his family when one day she took my brother's Caprice in to town. About a mile from home, a rubber freeze plug burst out and coolant was pouring out of the engine. Of course the temperature gauge soon skyrocketed. And the car was leaving a trail of steam behind it as she continued to drive to town, until the engine finally seized.

When my brother asked her if she noticed that anything was wrong, she said she did notice the temperature gauge go up, but thought that perhaps it was defective and always did that, so she chose to ignore it.

That made a real impact on my wife's attitude towards being aware of what a car is doing. And I'm so glad for that.

Sis asked me to listen to her agonizingly, slow engine cranking.
"Sounds slow to me".

She had the alternator replaced without telling me or keeping notes.
Wonder if it needed to be changed.

A long time ago I owned a 71 Honda 600 sedan. My wife drove it and upon backing out of the garage heard a "click" when letting out the clutch pedal in reverse. She coasted back into the garage, parked the car and told me about the strange noise. It turned out to be the snap ring on the pressure plate diaphragm spring retainer that held the throw out bearing. If she would have just driven away it would have made a big mess and stranded her. I would call that a good call. The clutch is on the side of the 2 cylinder air cooled twin and to get to it all you had to do was remove the exhaust manifold to get at the clutch. But her hearing the noise and stop prevented a lot of damage that could have included the engine crankcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back