Ford Oll life schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just purchased a 2017 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.0 twin turbo. It does not seem that I can choose when the OLM will go off in miles. Lincoln says the OLM should go off no more than 7,500 miles or less? Frankly I would rather change the oil no more than 6,500 miles this motor being a twin turbo direct injection motor.

First off does anyone know on most Ford & Lincoln's can you set the OLM to go off at a specified millage? And what do you all think of changing at 6,500 miles instead of 7,500? I will be having the dealer change it they use Motorcraft simi synthetic and the car has a recommended 5w30.

Congrats on the new car. On the last Ford I owned, you had the option to set the oil life at a certain %, not a distance. I don't know anything about the 3.0TT engine's oil longevity so would use a UOA to decide if it were me.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
...... the option to set the oil life at a certain %, not a distance.

If you can do this, it is far more useful information.

Setting the Olm to a percentage was removed on the fords I’m aware of it 2015 or so. You can only reset these days. The 3.0 is based on the CGI block 2.7 tt used in fords. It tends to dilute the oil somewhat. I would stick with to 5k mile changes. Things to watch for:
Composite oil pan has proven troublesome to seal on the 2.7. Watch for wet spots.
The oil drains in a gush. It comes out FAST. huge mess if you’re not ready.

Our 2017 Explorer 2.3 EB's iOLM cannot be adjusted for % of oil life you want. It can only be reset. And after a year it appears that the iOLM in this Explorer is only a mileage count down to 10,000 miles. It doesn't matter the driving conditions, whether local, highway, summer or winter it always counts down 10% for every 1,000 miles driven. I've been doing UOA's to try to determine the OCI's I should do based on the season.

Whimsey

I think I will stick with 5,000 mile OCI I have a feeling this motor will be tough on oil I will do a UOA after the motor is broken in or around 10,000 miles to see where I am at.

The 2.7 and 3.0 are proving to be pretty easy on oil. Use a good synthetic oil and follow the monitor while under warranty. Nothing to worry about on them. If you feel like changing it soon then sure why not. Just keep track of your mileage and do it. But the iolm will adjust the interval to your habits. And you likely will not see the full max interval anyways. Just about every uoa I’ve seen looks fine on them. I wouldn’t worry.

As others have pointed out, Ford’s iOLM will adjust the % remaining based upon your driving habits. It maxes out at 10,000 miles and drops from there. Normal driving will probably keep you right around 10,000 miles. I do a fair amount of idling and mine has dropped to around 8,000 this cycle.

The 5,000 mile OCI is kind of a baseline for EB owners, especially if you don’t care to perform a UOA and see how things are working. After the first 10-15k miles, I recommend going 5,000 miles or down to about 20% remaining on the OLM and testing the oil to see how things look.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Our 2017 Explorer 2.3 EB's iOLM cannot be adjusted for % of oil life you want. It can only be reset. And after a year it appears that the iOLM in this Explorer is only a mileage count down to 10,000 miles. It doesn't matter the driving conditions, whether local, highway, summer or winter it always counts down 10% for every 1,000 miles driven. I've been doing UOA's to try to determine the OCI's I should do based on the season.

Whimsey

I know 2015+ Mustangs OLM will count down even if the car sits in the garage. Ford has programmed it to go from 100% to 0% in 365 days. Not sure if that is negated to some degree due to the car being driven. Just saying it will count down without even being driven because Ford wants you to change the oil every year even if the mileage requirement isn't met.

The one on my 2012 F-150 5.0L seems to be almost straight mileage related for 10k. If I set to 100% it is at 50% at 5000 no matter how I drive (winter or summer). I change around 5-7.5k. Maybe the newer Fords are smarter, but mine doesn't seem to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back