Coolant pressure building up with engine OFF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Ford F-150 4.9 cylinder. Several months ago I change the coolant had a mysterious red / orange coolant in there. Might have been Motorcraft but I'm pretty sure there was some Dexcool in there. Flushed it all out and replace with conventional green. Didn't have any sludge particles or anything else crazy during the flush, didn't seem excessively dirty. I did run one bottle of Prestone flush kit through there. I also replaced the radiator cap with a generic one from O'Reilly's. Also replaced thermostat to oem temp and a new housing.

I know that this is the first thing they tell me to do but I haven't ran into Diagnostics test yet. I've got a small coolant leak from the transmission cooler line fitting, also slightly leaking from around the thermostat housing which I did replace but I confessed to have done a rushed job so I'll do that again during my break.

Those are not the main problem. I have pressure buildup in the cooling systems that develops days after the engine has been off. The upper rad hose feels firm and when opening the cap a little bit sputters out. Of course this accentuates my leaks and the little puddle of coolant under my truck grows faster as the days goes go by the longer it's off. If I'm driving it daily I never see any leaking, but I haven't driven in about a week and a half and just open the cap today and cool and spotter.
I don't see any signs of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil or coolant coming out of the exhaust. I do have either an oil or coolant drip coming from the intake / exhaust manifold gasket which I plan on fixing during my break in the next couple weeks otherwise everything is running fine with no one apparent problems pointing towards this situation.
Wouldn't an exhaust gas leak not start showing up the days after the engine is off when there's no more exhaust gases being produced? Is it possible that my radiator cap is holding too much pressure, especially with wildly fluctuating Florida temperatures this time of year?

I've seen several vehicles this way, and some of them were older Ford trucks. They just retain the smallest bit of pressure. Sometimes I've chalked it up to ambient temperature causing expansion in the hours before I popped the cap, too. I'd fix the leaks and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Change the radiator cap.

He did....it looks like it wasn't the problem.

Maybe the hose that goes to the overflow tank has a kink or is plugged. You can check the level when hot and cold to see if it changes or just take the hose off to see if it's clear.

Got a motorcraft cap coming in from Amazon. I don't believe the overflow hose is an issue, when doing my flush I disconnected it from the tad and flushed out the overflow tank. I will check again when I replace the cap and post an update.

Fix the leaks.

The system is supposed to retain pressure. It is common for some coolant to spill out of a properly working system when the radiator cap is removed "cold".

Originally Posted By: mk378
Fix the leaks.

The system is supposed to retain pressure. It is common for some coolant to spill out of a properly working system when the radiator cap is removed "cold".
yes but the pressure builds up the longer the engine is off. For instance I will run the truck for a couple days shut it off. the next day I open up the hood there's no leaks radiator hose is soft I open the cap it doesn't sputter and then I place the cap back on. Day 2 it starts weeping a bit around the mentioned areas from day 2 onwards I don't open the radiator cap. Day 3 weeping more, day 4 more and so on until the radiator hose feels firm after some days and opening the cap causes spills.

Last edited:
You wouldn't even be thinking about this if it didn't leak. Fix those leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back