2016 Nissan Quest CVT drain and fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I did another CVT fluid drain and fill on the van yesterday. Currently at ~52K miles. The last d/f was at 33K miles, just about a year ago and the drained fluid was very dark, almost black. I did two close succession d/f's then as we just bought the van as a previous rental.

Yesterday's drained fluid came out dark greenish, but not nearly as bad looking as a year ago. New Nissan NS-3 fluid is bright blue like windshield washer fluid.

I snapped a quick (horrible) pic of the cleanish white rag I used and a w/s washer fluid jug with the ~4qts that drained.

For those who own a Quest, Pathfinder or Murano, I wouldn't let it go more than 20-30K miles between CVT drain/fills. I just get the feeling I would have been lucky to make it to 100K miles had I left the factory juice in there. Drain/fills are easier than an engine oil change on these. The hardest part is getting the locking tab and O-ring to break free on the refill tube that resembles a dipstick tube.

I buy my Nissan NS-3 from eBay when I can get it for ~$10/qt shipped. Dealer cost is double that.

LWqBIc4.jpg

Last edited:
good idea. mine has been squeeling and I believe the new fluid may help. do you simply replace the exact amount you removed? the FSM calls for a procedure that requires (ideally) a scan tool to measure fluid temp...

FWIW, a guy over at the Nissan Maxima forums has a 2009 with 375,000 miles, and he changes the CVT fluid (NS2) every 75,000 miles. Still on the original transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
good idea. mine has been squeeling and I believe the new fluid may help. do you simply replace the exact amount you removed? the FSM calls for a procedure that requires (ideally) a scan tool to measure fluid temp...

That's how I do it. Drain it cold. What ever amount came out is the amount I replace. There's no way to get it wrong that way.

I have checked the level based on the FSM way I've read on the innerwebs, which is to have the van idling on a level surface with CVT fluid temps of ~98-113F. I just did it with the van fully warmed up, but not scorching hot in regards to fluid temps. Fluid should just dribble out of the level check plug under those conditions. Thank goodness most Nissans equipped with CVTs are easy enough to DIY.

I haven't worked up the courage to do my 2016 Forester CVT yet (currently 47K miles). The fill plug is in kind of a tough spot. I could rig it to fill I-V style with a long piece of tubing and small funnel, but I've got to see if I could get to and remove that fill plug first.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky, our 11 Quest still has a regular dipstick!
The 11 takes NS-2 fluid.
I think I'm just going to do a drain and fill once a year going forward, I did 2 or 3 drain and fills last summer with the Amsoil CVT fluid. (had done a couple drain and fills with genuine Nissan NS-2 when we first got it at 46k) Just pulled the dipstick last week and the fluid looks practically new! The Amsoil fluid is more amber colored like motor oil vs the Nissan NS-2 which was green.
We should be due for an oil change in June, so I think I will do the CVT fluid at that time while I have it on the ramps.

It is nice that Nissan seems to make the maintenance reasonably easy to do, except for the back 3 spark plugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back