Oil filter Yoga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking most of us have a special way of reaching the oil filter on some of the more difficult to get-to filters. On my 2005 Taurus with a 3 liter Vulcan engine, I find that if I stand in front of the driver’s side of the car, facing the passenger side of the car, I can reach down with my left arm between the rad and left bank of cylinders and loosen the filter with my end cap wrench, then unscrew it , tip it upward and pull it out. No need to crawl under the car. Any other moves?

Last edited:
On the 02 F150 5.4, if I crawl at a diagonal with my headfirst at the center of the front of the truck. Crawl diagonally towards the back of the driver side wheel, there you will be able to get to the inconveniently placed filter.

Prior to the lisle oil filter tool, you could barely get more than a quarter turn with a oil filter band tool.

The Rat and the Camrys need a socket. I got along for ages without anything but a strap tool. The 4.0 V6 barely fits into a Ranger. The filter is hemmed in by enough stuff to make a stuck filter impossible to get the strap on.Its a straight shot with a hand ,but no leverage. If the filter is put on right , I'll never need it again. Off to Auto Zone for a 9.99 Dorman socket that lies unused in the glove box. GRRR. At least the 4.99 Camry socket will get used every 10K X2
grin2.gif

My friend had a Cutless Ciera that in order to reach the oil filter the front passenger when had to be taken off and reached through the wheel well.

On the Elantra I can change filter just reaching underneath with car parked in garage. Used mirror the first time to see what I was doing. Second time changed by feel alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back