2018 Chevy Impala V6 Rental - Quick Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might ruffle a few die hard GM/American car lovers, but I'm gonna be honest.

I'll start off in saying it was so horrible, that we returned it after a couple days. We did not request a replacement as another Impala was all they had.

We'll start off with the drivetrain. Thinking having the V6 is would have plenty of power, this is not the case. It does have some torque, but the transmission ruins it completely. Even during WOT the trans will shift for fuel economy. Not to mention slip into every gear. Can I chalk the trans up to being a rental? Maybe, but with only 10K I would expect it to be better than that. I live in a very mountainous region and manual mode is a must for going up the mountain. I tried it in regular drive and it was a no go. Again, trying to shift for fuel economy. Average fuel economy readout on the dash was 25, but we only drove it 100 miles.

Interior is also what disappointed me. We had an '08 Chevy Equinox that the interior felt really cheap in. I figured after 10 years that would improve, yea, no. This Impala was LT trim so it had the "leather" seats. I would have thought they would be heated, but for the life of me couldn't find a button for them. Figured it wasn't equipped. The materials felt cheap to me, honestly. Shutting the doors added to the cheap feeling. They felt thin, and didn't shut with that reassuring solid thunk. Blind spots were everywhere, from the A-pillar to the B-pillar. It also extended to the view out the back. The rear end sits high and the window is small, the rear view mirror didn't capture much. The infotainment system was too busy and cumbersome. Those quick radio station changes seemed difficult to me.

The car did ride well and was smooth, but the car was super floaty. I'm sure if you drive on just flatlands it would be ok, but here in rural PA that's not the case. Maybe I'm just used to the cornering of the VW or the SE package in the Camry. But my old S10 with worn out shocks would out corner this thing.

Overall this car is a no go from me. I did try an go in with an unbiased view in the beginning of driving the thing, but that quickly faded, sorry guys.

I had this exact rental car a few weeks ago which I drove to Birmingham, AL for work. I found it to have an excellent/smooth transmission and the V6 felt powerful enough. I was impressed with it for the most part inside and out, and thought it was a very smooth shifting automatic. I usually hate the way ATs shift. I want to say it had around 15k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did it have stop start that couldn't be turned off?

No it did not. It had the push button start though. Must have been a strange configured LT.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I had this exact rental car a few weeks ago which I drove to Birmingham, AL for work. I found it to have an excellent/smooth transmission and the V6 felt powerful enough. I was impressed with it for the most part inside and out, and thought it was a very smooth shifting automatic. I usually hate the way ATs shift. I want to say it had around 15k miles on it.

Yea I don't know. It is a local rental, so maybe it's fried after going through the mountains with unaware drivers? It did have a new set of tires on it after 10K if that tells you anything.

I love the current generation Impala. Comfortable, plenty of power, handles well, and has a good ride. It's a good looking car too. I also find the info-tainment system in GM cars very simple and intuitive compared to most other makes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess?

I had a Nissan Altima rental car recently, and I really didn't like it at all. I go for the impala every time when renting.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did it have stop start that couldn't be turned off?

No it did not. It had the push button start though. Must have been a strange configured LT.

I worded my question poorly, sorry. What I should have said did it have stop/start, or if so could it be turned off? I'm thinking if it didn't have stop start maybe it is configured that way for the rental market?

GM has always offered turkeys for the rental market. Wife's corsica had an RPO code that bascially meant "Rental special". In fact the Corsica was born on the cavalier floorpan to be a fleet/rental!

I had a cutlass ciera with a V6 engine and 3 speed automatic that was barely rated for it. They wanted pep, darn it!

Rented an impala last year and was mostly impressed by it. If they have fuzzy logic in the transmission, they should code it so it doesn't learn bad habits as a rental. It had two main faults, which are true of many new cars: Huge blind spots from the I'm-a-tank design, and super-twitchy quick-ratio steering. My rental got nearly 30 MPG at 78 MPH.

I had a choice between Impalas and Elantras, basically. Kids' rear shoulder belts fit them better on the Impala. Paid ~$18/day through Hertz and put a few states' worth of miles on it.

32.gif
I rented in Chicago to drive to Kansas and wound up with PA plates so I was still a yankee, sorta.

Wow. My sister has a '16 Impala LTZ with all the toys and loves it. I drove it once and thought it was pretty nice although the dash styling was a bit odd. Chevy must have really messed with the trans programming.

We rented a '16 on a trip to California last October.
I thought it was a nice ride, and I generally don't like GM products.
It got great mileage for the size and was a nice riding and driving car.
I didn't particularly like the interior dash styling or the high rear deck.
I noticed the transmission shifting as well. Going up a mountain, the transmission would shift awkwardly. I couldn't even keep up with a guy in a beater Corolla.
On the flats, it moved well and would keep up with anything.
I thought it was a much nicer ride than a '17 Volvo V90 we had as a rental on a trip to Florida last month. At least, when you sat in traffic with the Impala, it idled and didn't fluctuate from 900 RPM to the engine shaking like two cats stowed in a cardboard box.
I would consider a nice, lightly used Impala, to avoid eating the abusing depreciation that this car would most likely take in the first year.

We rented an Impala 1.5 years ago for 7 days, and really liked it except that it was equipped with the start/stop 4 cyl. The 3.6 doesn't have start/stop. I used the back-up camera rather than the rear window for backing up, rear visibility isn't great. Overall, we found the Impala to be roomy, quiet & good handling (mountain roads in B.C.). The interior materials and finish were good for a rental (base trim level).
Full disclosure, I have one on order, but with leather, 3.6, etc. to make it a car I'll be happy with for (hopefully) a long time.

I assume it doesn't have a sport mode on the auto trans. My 17 Avalon has that and I love it. Gives a crisper shift. I rented a Kia that was in the Econ mode unknown to me. It felt so sluggish. When I discovered that it was in Econ and put it in sport it was much better.

Rented one a couple weeks ago, reserved a minivan since it was the lowest cost option - even less than a compact. Showed up hoping to talk them into something else, and the person at the counter said since I was Emerald Club I could have anything - saw an Impala and went straight to it.

I've rented them before, this time it was a V6 LT1 with no options, sounds like the one OP had. The seats are leatherette/vinyl with fabric inserts (keep in mind this is not a highly optioned example). As with previous Impalas, I thought it was a great driving car. Quiet and comfortable with a smooth ride, handling is crisp and predictable. V6 has plenty of power - I was driving normal with passengers not wringing it out. Main thing I noted about driving is how much you notice the torque management - it clearly cuts the engine power during a shift.

I rent the new Impala's all the time. They are mostly 4 cylinder versions where I go. I hate them.

One was so annoying I turned it in and got an Infiniti Q50 with the turbo 4.

The contrast could not be more stark. Sure the Impala is quiet, due to the noise cancelling setup (noise cancelling technology works wonders at idle and at low speeds, however, it's completely ineffective when that 4 cylinder is screaming near redline up a hill) . But it drove horribly. Suspension topping out over rough roads, and wallowing badly in bumpy corners. To make matters worse, that little 4 cylinder is AWFUL when 4 men and bags are in the car, and driving in the New England hills. Downshift and screaming, while being passed going uphill is not my idea of a capable car. If that's the future, I don't want it.

The Q50, on the other hand drove the exact same roads with a capability a precision you'd expect from a modern car. Very nice.

Last edited:
If GM starts putting copper/ nickle brake lines in their vehicles, I will look at a GM vehicle, until then no way. GM uses the cheapest steel pipe for their brake lines, and considering their primary buyers are in the North East and Midwest, with all the salt- it is simple arrogance of GM.

I drove GMs for decades, after having brake lines fail at 60k miles on two garage kept and undercarriage washed GM vehicles, I came to the conclusion GM thinks their customers are stupid.

I just rented an Impala V6 with less than 10kmiles in Florida and was not impressed.
It was very difficult to wring power out of the engine, the only time it felt like it wanted to take off was after I had been stuck in a very long toll line that was caused by an indifferent employee taking his sweet time with everything and I really stabbed at the pedal after he FINALLY took my money. The front tires spun on dry pavement and I thought maybe the thing had some zip after all, but it generally felt kinda weak for passing and getting up to speed off a ramp. May have just been really funny transmission programming...
I really felt like I had hopped into an F1 car when I got home to my FXT, and that is obviously not a world beating car as far as power goes.

Like I said, I'm probably used to driving something in a different class. It just wasn't for me, the transmission killed the whole package honestly. The ride was excellent, but a little too floaty for the roads I drive on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back