0W-16 Oil....... Really ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I bought a brand new 2018 Toyota Camry. One of the first things I noticed was the sticker under the hood that called out for 0W-16 Engine Oil. I never even heard of that weight. A quick on line search netted this from Toyota.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263247431319?chn=ps&dispItem=1

It seems expensive, and I don't know yet what other brands are acceptable. We didn't get home until late in the afternoon yesterday, and I was pretty tired after haggling with salesmen. So I didn't feel like digesting owners manuals and all that. (They gave me a total of 3 manuals with the vehicle, each the thickness of a phone book).

Anyway, I do my own oil changes, and I know this model takes a cartridge filter which translates into a mess, screwing with O-Rings, and all of that. You also have to remove an access panel to get to the plug and filter. But like anything else, after you do it a couple of times, it's no big deal. I'm just not a fan of cartridge filters. The Corolla uses a spin on filter, and has no access panel. But we bought the Camry instead because it's a much nicer, more roomy vehicle. Along with a bigger, more powerful engine, and an 8-Speed, gear driven automatic, as opposed to the Corolla's belt driven CVT, that I just wasn't comfortable with.

The thing drives like a dream, and lopes along at 65 MPH at only 1,600 RPM in 8th gear. Which I thought was really low for a 4-cylinder. So now I have to research this oddball oil, and find somewhere that carries it. I don't know if Wal-Mart stocks it or not. I'm hoping so because buying oil anywhere else is usually around 25% more. Even at the chain auto parts stores. I'm not even sure how much it takes.

I'm not really comfortable using 0w-20 for the first OC on our new Nissan Rogue Sport! I feel like mixing in a Qt. or 2 of 5w/0w-30 oil in the mix.) Summer blend. Darn you BITOG, now I've become a mixologist and a oil hoarder! Enjoy your new car!

With almost 4000 posts and you haven't heard of 0W-16? It's probably been talked about for at least 3 years on this forum. To give you a preview, your next Camry will probably use 0W-12.
Congrats on the new ride sounds sweet.

Haven't you never heard of it sometime before ?

Pretty sure that you claimed lack of knowledge of the grade/SAE J300 before today.

Well, look first to see if your Toyota Camry owner's manual allows for other weights of oils such as a 0W20 or other grades.
Also, doesn't Toyota have 2 years of Free Maintenance on all new vehicles?
This should give you/oil companies some time to find/get the 0W16 to market.

If Toyota is the only way that you can get 0W16 and it is the only oil grade acceptable in the owner's while no other oil company is offering it yet, then Toyota has to provide the service for FREE.

However, even the two cars in my signature('06 Mazda3 & '15 Altima) require 5W20 & 0W20 respectively, my go to oil is 5W30 in both.
The Mazda Only allows for 5W20(owner's manual & oil cap) while the Altima also allows for 5W30/10W30.
The strange thing about the Altima is that, the owner's manual mentions NOTHING about 5W20 even though I have used it.

Last edited:
Bill, it's a new weight oil now but it's going to be the new normal for many cars. As for the cartridge, no big deal really and no mess with the little drain fitting included with the filter. Get a short piece of tubing to attach to it. You'll need a new filter wrench to fit the housing, Amazon has lots of choices; wrench . Forget which on I got. The composite filter housing is easy to over-tighten and seems to suffer "stiction" being harder to break loose than you remember tightening when you put it on. Apparently there's a Lexus housing that's aluminum that some people buy. Nice car, what color?

Edit: About different allowable weights, Toyota says I can use a different weight for an OC if 0W-20 isn't available but go back on the next OC. I just couldn't go 10K on the factory fill so changed at 5K. Then Toyota changed at 10K and 2 years.

Last edited:
Here's the deal with 0W16 oil: The very few car(s) that take it are very new, it's not used in an enthusiast car where more people are more apt to change their own oil like say a Mustang GT, GTI, Focus ST, ...., the weight is used in a car most people will take back to the dealer or perhaps a quicky lube to have changed.

AA carries 0W16 for $6 a quart and your new Camry does not have a cartridge filter. Toyota changed it back to a spin on (canister) filter for 2018. You can even put an OCOD (PH4967) on if you dare.
You know that your first 2 10k oil changes are free from Toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chunt
AA carries 0W16 for $6 a quart and your new Camry does not have a cartridge filter. Toyota changed it back to a spin on (canister) filter for 2018.

I just read that! That is music to my ears. I HATE cartridge filters. They are nothing but a mess screwing around with O-Rings, and having oil running all over everything. I'm reading it is part #90915-10009.

I don’t see why folks are not comfortable with manufacturers requirements. They’ve done the testing we haven’t.

Originally Posted By: Danno
With almost 4000 posts and you haven't heard of 0W-16? It's probably been talked about for at least 3 years on this forum. To give you a preview, your next Camry will probably use 0W-12.

It very well may have been. But I don't pay attention to oil weights and brands that my vehicles don't use. Unless this car gets wrecked or stolen, there won't be another. I'm sure it will outlast me.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I don’t see why folks are not comfortable with manufacturers requirements. They’ve done the testing we haven’t.

I agree 100%. It would be stupid to run anything but what the manufacturer recommends in a brand new car.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pretty sure that you claimed lack of knowledge of the grade/SAE J300 before today.

I've never heard of, or ever mentioned that.

Hi Bill. Just got back from Wallyworld to pick some QSUD. The only ones they had were 0W-20 and 5W-20. I’m thinking 0W-16 is coming real soon. In the next year Toyota will ask for for one or two oil changes, correct? I’ll bet by the end of the year 0-16 will be on the shelves.
49.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hi Bill. Just got back from Wallyworld to pick some QSUD. The only ones they had were 0W-20 and 5W-20. I’m thinking 0W-15 is coming real soon. In the next year Toyota will ask for for one or two oil changes, correct? I’ll bet by the end of the year 0-15 will be on the shelves.
49.gif

All they told me was, "2 years service free". (Like you're not paying for it in the price of the car). I'll most likely change it myself. There is no way I would leave oil in a car for 10,000 miles. I don't drive that many miles, so the stuff would be in there forever.

Because manufacturers have other things on their plate besides what's absolute best for your vehicle. Stuff like CAFE.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hi Bill. Just got back from Wallyworld to pick some QSUD. The only ones they had were 0W-20 and 5W-20. I’m thinking 0W-15 is coming real soon. In the next year Toyota will ask for for one or two oil changes, correct? I’ll bet by the end of the year 0-15 will be on the shelves.
49.gif

All they told me was, "2 years service free". (Like you're not paying for it in the price of the car). I'll most likely change it myself. There is no way I would leave oil in a car for 10,000 miles. I don't drive that many miles, so the stuff would be in there forever.

They don't want the PR hit of people never doing it. Expect a postcard in the mail inviting you in. Remember some people buy toyotas as appliances and they need "herding" into taking care of basic maintenance.

I'd take the free OCIs from the dealer while they offer them, maybe do a secret change at 5k and 15k if it helps you sleep. By the time you're on your own they'll have 16 weight at walmart.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
Because manufacturers have other things on their plate besides what's absolute best for your vehicle. Stuff like CAFE.

While that may or may not be true. It doesn't change the fact if you start playing engineer with your car, and start substituting oil weights and brands, and wind up with a failure. They could void your warranty. Why take the chance?

Originally Posted By: hatt

I'm sure Toyota has done all the appropriate reliability testing just as they did when 0w20 was recommended...and the naysayers cried CAFE! CAFE! then too.

Since the 70s during the advent of CAFE, only a fraction of applications have gone back to thicker recommendations of the millions of vehicles sold in the US. It's an old, tired argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back