Low mileage seven year old tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 tires with 5,500 miles on them no cracks. How long is rubber good for? 10 years? They are General stock tires on a Silverado, no flat spots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
7 years max

Or 5.

Or 6.

Or 10.

Depending on who you ask.

The Japanese (Japan Automotive Tyre Manufacturers Association) recommend eplacement after a maximum of 10 years since the date of manufacture, and they are generally regarded as pretty anal.

Or at least they were until Fukushima.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corollaman
2011 tires with 5,500 miles on them no cracks. How long is rubber good for? 10 years? They are General stock tires on a Silverado, no flat spots.

You live in Eastern Washington state. That's a pretty cold part of the country. Based on what I know about these things, you're looking at a 10 year max. Phoenix - on the other hand - would be at the other end at 6 years.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

You live in Eastern Washington state. That's a pretty cold part of the country. Based on what I know about these things, you're looking at a 10 year max. Phoenix - on the other hand - would be at the other end at 6 years.

I agree 100%.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Chris142
7 years max

Or 5.

Or 6.

Or 10.

Depending on who you ask.

YES....

I run them until they shows signs of becoming unreliable

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Depends on what you wanna use them for. I wouldn't take it for a trip but I would use them around the area for errands.

What he said.

You live in Eastern Washington you get some pretty warm summers. My guess is tires are a lot cheaper than a wrecked car. But its your car. I replace mine at 6 to 6.5 years even here on the wet side of Washington.

I am in the same boat, 11 yr old tires almost 6K on them on a car I bought new and don't hardly drive. The tires have no cracks, live in a garage so they stay on till they show some sign of deterioration or I finally decide to part with it.

It seems to me from some experience with low/no use cars, that tires are good until around the 13-14 year mark. That's like, cars sitting in a garage, unused after some number of years.

Beyond about that, the sidewall cracking and overall condition of the rubber seems to go south.

Id suspect that's why the Japanese (and I think American guidelines when talking date of manufacture) is 10 years (IIRC, American guideline is 6 years in service). It gives a 30-50% factor of safety on top of whatever intrinsic design toughness exists.

Id run them so long as they look OK, but Id be saving for another set at minimum at the 10 year mark, and not let them stay in use beyond 10-12 or so.

Given that its a truck, if the low mileage is because it pulls a travel trailer or boat or something, then the story may be vastly different...

Just an FYI:

Not all tires use the same formulation of rubber in the sidewall. Some tire manufacturers use crack resistant rubber. So lack of cracks in the sidewall may NOT be an indicator that a tire is good.

Simply stated: Cracks in the sidewall = bad. No cracks = Need to look at the date code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My guess is tires are a lot cheaper than a wrecked car.

Actually tyres would probably cost more than a wrecked car in my case, but then there's all that death and collateral damage potential to factor in.

I will take another approach. Were the tires/rims mounted on the truck? Did it sit for long periods of time without moving? I ask this because of belt separation. That can get ugly at speed. Was the truck stored in a climate controlled space on tire saver ramps for flat spot prevention? Tread belt separation happened to someone I know under very similar circumstances to yours. With not pretty results. Be very aware of any vibrations. You could dismount the tires do a visual and hand check of the belts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NQBJ1N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back