Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This copy is from a updated PDS from Shell. It’s not on their website yet.

PENNZOIL PLATINUM ® 0W-20 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL - MADE
FROM NATURAL GAS
TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlusTM Technology is a first of its kind full synthetic motor oil made from natural gas and designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION.
Performance, Features & Benefits
PurePlusTM Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas- to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a first- of-its-kind extremely high quality full synthetic base oil.
Because our base oil is made from natural gas, it is crystal clear with fewer of the impurities found in crude oil, the start for many other traditional & synthetic motor oils.
From that pure, clear base we add our high performance additives to create Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlusTM Technology, motor oil designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION, without compromise:
CLEANER PISTONS
Keeps pistons up to 50% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standard.1 Keeps your engine cleaner than any leading synthetic oil.2
BETTER FUEL ECONOMY
Drive on average an extra 550 miles vs. a dirty engine.3
PROTECTS HORSEPOWER
Helps protect engines from loss of power.
UNSURPASSED WEAR PROTECTION
No other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction.4
2 Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30.
3 Fuel economy measurements made using CAFÉ cycle under FTP75. Avg of 550 extra miles based on mixed city/highway miles and US avg of 13,476 miles driven per year with 4.1% better MPG vs dirty engine. Source: fhwa.dot.gov,2011. Follow OEM recommended oil drain intervals
4 Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.
Main Applications
Pennzoil Platinum® 0W-20 with PurePlusTM Technology is recommended for use in all vehicles requiring the use of SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oils under all driving conditions.
SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade oils are commonly recommended for use in many new vehicles with modern engine technology for maximum fuel economy and performance.
Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlusTM Technology can be mixed with other synthetic and mineral oils and is recommended for use in all vehicle applications under all driving conditions.
SAE 0W-20 may not be suitable for use in older engines so always consult your owners manual for the correct viscosity grade and performance recommendation required for your vehicle.
Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
·Chrysler MS-6395 ·
·GM dexos1TM Gen 2 (license D10068GE014)
·Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Honda/Acura HTO-06
Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications
·API SN-RC and all previous categories
© SOPUS Products 2017. All rights reserved.
EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES
Provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat.
1 Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIH piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
Page 1 of 2 Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF-5), v 1.6 09.06.2017.14.50

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
they're using stuff we can't see in UOAs to enhance the formulas.

So, when will UOAs get improved to where they will start to show the unseen stuff?

When you start paying upwards of $1000.00 per analysis.

I see my local CDN Tire has PP and PUP on sale again, already. I assume they are trying to get rid of stock knowing the D1-G2 oil is coming soon.
The prices on good on the 5 Ltr jugs, $31.19 and $34.79 respectively, so I think I am going to stock up on some 5W-20 for my Ram Hemi and some 5W-30 for my wife's car.
I just have to make up my mind if I should go with the PUP or just the PP? Not that $3 dollars and change is a lot of money, I am thinking just sticking with the PP as I personally don't see a lot of difference between the 2? 8,000 to 10,000 km's OCI's on both. Which would you buy? (These are the older Dexos 1 rated oils, not the new D1-G2 oils)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289323p.html#srp
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil-5-l-jug-0289360p.html#srp

Originally Posted By: irv
I see my local CDN Tire has PP and PUP on sale again, already. I assume they are trying to get rid of stock knowing the D1-G2 oil is coming soon.
The prices on good on the 5 Ltr jugs, $31.19 and $34.79 respectively, so I think I am going to stock up on some 5W-20 for my Ram Hemi and some 5W-30 for my wife's car.
I just have to make up my mind if I should go with the PUP or just the PP? Not that $3 dollars and change is a lot of money, I am thinking just sticking with the PP as I personally don't see a lot of difference between the 2? 8,000 to 10,000 km's OCI's on both. Which would you buy? (These are the older Dexos 1 rated oils, not the new D1-G2 oils)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289323p.html#srp
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil-5-l-jug-0289360p.html#srp

I went back and forth with myself tonight and ended up purchasing the Ultra. One more jug for the truck and 2 more for my wife's 3.6 Impala.
I am not sure, after I said I will most likely go back to the PP, that I will now if I can keep purchasing the Ultra for a decent price like I did tonight?

Not sure why I keep doing this to myself?
21.gif

I wonder how Pennzoil will accomplish cleaning with such a calcium drop ?
Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I wonder how Pennzoil will accomplish cleaning with such a calcium drop ?

With the addition of Boron and Magnesium that weren't really in PPPP before.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If I remember correctly, the biggest different between Platinum and Ultra was that Ultra had more GTL base. This was never confirmed though. Ultra had a larger amount of boron. Now Platinum has a big dose of boron and since SOPUS isn’t likely to divulge their base formula the question remains , why Ultra?

If I choose, I’ll go with Platinum. Easier to find. Much less expensive.

Pim, at some point in the past this was at least partially true. Now on WM's site the PUP is $24.97 in almost all flavors, and PP is now $27.76, along with PPHM. However, all the QSUD is still in the $19.xx-20.xx range... so now SOPUS has really muddied the waters.

I have been stocking up on the PUP like mad at $24.97 and cashing in rebates, and have done the same on the PP Euro 0W40. I think I've got enough oil for at least my next 400k miles of OCIs considering I've proven these oils in my applications to at least 15k each. That said, I had to do a short-change OCI on the Odyssey because my wife enjoys idling and short-tripping it in the winter, so I stuck in some Harvest King 5W30 for what will likely be around a 5k OCI. Obviously won't be as good as PP, but still give some feedback on D1G2 in an engine that's known to be fairly tough on oil.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
When you start paying upwards of $1000.00 per analysis.

MolaKule, not that I am in the market for such an analysis (today), but could you tell us what kind of tests these involve? You're always a great source of information, but also for tidbits of info that can give bread crumb trails to those of us willing to search
smile.gif

I'll hang in there with the Edge 0/40 til this all sorts out...remember the first pilgrims all got arrows in the back.

I should call Analyzers and get this 9,700 mi. 0/40 UO looked at.

Last edited:
*One could make a case for using QSUD 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 for the Summer fill and the PPPP 5W30 D1/ Gen 2 for the Fall - Spring fill and definitely for a Winter fill with it's A5 / B5 viscosity spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back