JCI to spin off battery business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/johnson-con...ness-1520867775

JCI spun off their automotive interiors business as a standalone company, sold Gentex the rights to Homelink and wanting to focus on building control and security I can see how car batteries aren't really a fit alongside JCI's HVAC business and the former Tyco security/life safety businesses.

Who would take over the battery division? Can't be Exide, Deka is small. There would be a lot of anti-trust if GS Yuasa makes a move.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Tesla????

Doubt it - JCI wanted to enter the EV market but they only found some limited success with GM's BAS system(and I do recall JCI was heavily pushing the 48V battery in Babcox's magazines for countermen and service shops) and I think they worked with a French or Israeli company on Li-ion batteries for full EVs. Panasonic, LG, Samsung and GS Yuasa have that market cornered with Li-ion, but BYD is a force to be reckoned with LiFe-PO batteries.

Tesla wouldn't want to be involved with legacy lead-acid tech.

Last edited:
Maybe Carl Ichan who owns Pep Boys and Federal Mogul and part of Auto Plus will take it....??

I would like to see Tesla align itself with JCI in some form. Once Tesla gets on board, Tesla likes to keep its own name associated with a quality product.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I would like to see Tesla align itself with JCI in some form. Once Tesla gets on board, Tesla likes to keep its own name associated with a quality product.

If Tesla has the money to buy JCI, and I doubt it, Panasonic would be first in line to collect since Tesla owes them big time and Panasonic has been getting impatient.

wow so they sell it off and then the new owners cheapen it up and ruin it. Great.. oh but made the stock market happy. what a joke.

So if JCI is gone for batteries, and exide has always been a joke (dont even get me started on the junk they make).. who's left for quality?? east penn?

^^^ONE of the reasons my next battery will come from EnerSys/Odyssey.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
wink.gif

thanks for the recommendation of another battery manufacturer! I'll keep that on my list.. I know enersys, they make batteries I've used for battery backup systems (UPS).

Originally Posted By: researcher
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
wink.gif

thanks for the recommendation of another battery manufacturer! I'll keep that on my list.. I know enersys, they make batteries I've used for battery backup systems (UPS).

The one I want to use (Odyssey PC1100) is actually part of a self contained/shielded/welded wiring harness 3 pack for modern military jet fighters, or so I am told by their techs.

I want it because it is almost 10 pounds lighter than my OEM Motorcraft (with the same CCA, and some of the other specs even better) is a sealed, NO LEAKAGE, AGM, and I already have the bespoke, Schumacher made Odyssey charger for it from my last Die Hard/Odyssey battery.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back