Who has a GOOD particle counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a trusted BITOG'r who no longer posts and he indicated Polaris and Butler Cat labs do laser based particle counts.

I don't know what that actually means; I am just passing it on.

Just in case you havn't seen this

Pore Blockage vs Optical Particle Counts

"I sent them to a place that uses a SpectroLNS Q-200 Particle Counter, optical type. "

Doesnt say where it is, but maybe a PM would elicit that info? (might of course be the place already mentioned). Laser scanning is probably the current version of the technology.

I've been considering buying a consumer level laser scanner for air quality monitoring. Would be great if it did liquids too, but I suppose there's no demand. Might be able to snow the university into getting it, but probably not.

"When you have really opaque oil, the optical testers are your only choice, really. " is probably a mistake, since it doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

"When you have really opaque oil, the optical testers are your only choice, really. " is probably a mistake, since it doesn't seem to make sense.

Correct.

Optical counters are worthless with opaque oil

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Correct.

Optical counters are worthless with opaque oil

You sure? How do they work? I've only used Malvern particle sizers in my past in pharma QC. The sample was diluted to a proper opacity/translucency to allow light to pass through an acceptable range and then the machine counted the particles. It shot a laser through the sample and then some hocus pocus about where the laser was deflected and whatnot and poof, you had a particle size analysis.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Ryan from Blackstone said there was something obsolete on the pore blocking machine they used previously, IIRC. I asked about ISO cleanliness codes, and he did say they could still do those.

All I have read about Blackstone is they do the pore blockage on the 10 micron level only,
then they interpolate the data for the other points.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Linc that was older. I just talked with Ryan about two weeks ago and he said there were parts for their machine that were obsolete and they were not buying a new pore blocking machine.

Thanks for the update, I'll have to give them a try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back