Carrying IWB —— 1911 vs Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Kimber Ultra would be pretty close.
Probably a tad shorter because of the 3" barrel.

I carry one in .45.

I carry a tiny Taurus TCP 380 inside my waistband. Don't really notice carrying it all day. I don't think I'd want to carry anything bigger. Keep a 9mm in glove box.
Of course that doesn't help answer your question.

Yeah, after the G19 for months, I went to a single stack 9. The slimness seems to make the difference...so, I’m thinking a 1911 might be better (less blocky) than the G19 inside for me.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Y....I went to a single stack 9. The slimness seems to make the difference..

Same here.

I never IWB any full-size.

15 rounds of 9mm vs 7 or 8 rounds of 45 ACP. Hmm..

A loaded 1911 weighs almost a pound more than a loaded G19 if that matters.

I bought a G43 to replace a G19, like it fine but 9 less rounds keeps it in the safe.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
I carry a tiny Taurus TCP 380 inside my waistband. Don't really notice carrying it all day. I don't think I'd want to carry anything bigger. Keep a 9mm in glove box.
Of course that doesn't help answer your question.

Yup I wouldn’t want either of those having carried on the job forever. If you do though I’d go the double action only route. Why, simply because of the safety factor. I wouldn’t consider Glock in that category either just because it has such a fine trigger and no safety aside from the one on the booger hook
whistle.gif

Me I want something with a long heavier trigger for defense. I know full well I’m not ever going to be getting into a shootout across the parking lot like I might have in LE environments. For self defense carry that long heavy trigger might just keep ya from launching one down your leg or somehow hitting something or someone other than your intended target.
Don’t get me wrong, I like a fine trigger as much as the next guy. I just like the extra degree of difficulty yankin that booger hook in a sudden stressful situation. As close as I can get to a revolver without that fat profile.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Fine motor skills decline after a big dose of adrenaline...don’t carry anything with a safety.

IMO all the more reason to have a safety! If you can't actuate a safety you should stay away from a trigger, lots of bad things happen when the finger goes to the trigger without control.
Not meant to bash the poster, just an opinion born from experience.

Smoky

A 1911 is an experts weapon. Less than 2% of the folks that shoot them, I would consider experts. So chances are, in my professional opinion, you don't have the skill, training, and knowledge on the platform. Or the 50,000 repetitive motions of flicking the safety off, in training, that builds muscle memory. So Glock wins.

If I made my own video on the 1911, it would look EXACTLY like this video. Ive shared it a ton of times, because he says EXACTLY how I feel about the 1911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ao6Fg6P1k

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
IMO all the more reason to have a safety! If you can't actuate a safety you should stay away from a trigger, lots of bad things happen when the finger goes to the trigger without control. Not meant to bash the poster, just an opinion born from experience.

Yeah and my training and experience says that a safety will get you killed. And I have seen a dozen videos that prove that. All on YouTube.

Just an opinion born from experience.

The only safety a trained person needs on a pistol is their trigger finger aligned along the frame and out of the trigger guard. If a person feel the need for a safety, then they haven't trained enough. Period.

The M1911 was never designed or expected to be carried in the "cocked and locked" mode. Sticking one in your pants that way is just asking for trouble.
I have never, ever, understood the fascination with the M1911. It was designed to be carried as a sidearm for Officers and NCO's, in early 20th century warfare. It functioned well as that, and all that implies. Take it out of that element, and it starts losing its effectiveness.
I don't really give a ---- about all the sheep that buy them. Played too much "Army" when they were younger. A handgun is a huge compromise in the first place. Find the best compromise you get. And the M1911 is not it.

If you don't like 1911's fine, but many people do and for good reason. They shoot wonderfully well and can be way more interesting than polymer bricks.

A "cocked and locked" 1911 is far safer to carry than a Glock. People are so visual it defeats rational thought. They can see the cocked hammer and they freak out.

Glock - Pull trigger, bang.
1911 - Deactivate safety, engage grip safety, pull trigger, bang.

My 1911 carry holster adds a leather retention snap across the back of the slide in front of the hammer. Safer still.

I have carried Glocks professionally for many years and have come to the realization they are not that safe. Glock knows it too which is why the "Safe Action" marketing barrage started in the first place. Proper gun handling works well but the potential for AD's is relatively high. With the current quest for better triggers, it appears the potential for AD's with striker fired safety less weapons is only going up.

Obviously safe weapon handling practices are paramount. But accidents happen when brain cramps start and we all have them once in a while.

I carry and use both, still carry Glocks at work, but I am not so foolish as to pronounce one style the cat's meow and the other worthless. Both styles have merits and detractions.

Having carried a weapon professionally for 28 years now, I am of the current mindset that the best duty weapon is a good double action semi auto with no manual safety. Unfortunately double actions have been out of vogue for some time. They do require more training... but I consider them an excellent blend of safety and quick SHTF reactive deployment.

"...the best duty weapon is a good double action semi auto with no manual safety"

So that would be a Sig P226 and variants or a Beretta 92 with a decocker only?

The "danger" in carrying Glock pistols is way over hyped. They are in use by militaries and law enforcement all over the world. If they were anywhere near as "dangerous" as people claim, you would be having people shooting themselves left and right. Their accidental discharge rate is less then most any other pistol. An idiot can make any gun "dangerous". This guy's always been a classic example.

There is a longer version of it. I'm confused, did he actually AD on himself or was it staged?

Also near the end of the video, there is a female holding a rifle on her shoulder and point the barrel 180 degree behind her back, flagging a guy standing a few feet behind her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: newbe46
I'm confused, did he actually AD on himself or was it staged?

No, it was not staged. The guy was hounded over this for months, and is no longer working as an undercover agent with the DEA as a direct result of him being plastered all over every media outlet in the country. He tried suing the DEA over it, claiming the DEA, "ruined his reputation". I have no idea how he figured that, when he was the one who quite literally shot himself in the foot.

https://www.quora.com/What-ever-happened...ull-of-children

Originally Posted By: newbe46
"...the best duty weapon is a good double action semi auto with no manual safety"

So that would be a Sig P226 and variants or a Beretta 92 with a decocker only?

Those qualify yes. Mine was a 3rd Generation Smith and Wesson 40 cal with decocker no safety. There are plenty others of course but they are certainly not the rage anymore.

As I mentioned proper gun handling is paramount with all weapons and trumps most issues BUT the inherent design of the Glock is more susceptible to AD's than some others. Officers have shot themselves instinctively trying to grab for a dropped gun, or had a jacket button get into the trigger guard when holstering and BOOM. Neither would be an AD with a cocked and locked 1911, and probably wouldn't be with a good double action either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back