2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are sometimes heated discussions in a Crosstrek forum about this subject. I use what the manual states in both of my Subies since it is supposedly what the engines are designed for. HOWEVER, folks are saying the the 0W-30 affords better protection. Some have even started using 5W-30 assuming that the protection is even better. So I thought I'd pose the issue to a forum devoted exclusively to motor oil. I'm more likely to find the experts on this forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RetiredSux
There are sometimes heated discussions in a Crosstrek forum about this subject. I use what the manual states in both of my Subies since it is supposedly what the engines are designed for. HOWEVER, folks are saying the the 0W-30 affords better protection. Some have even started using 5W-30 assuming that the protection is even better. So I thought I'd pose the issue to a forum devoted exclusively to motor oil. I'm more likely to find the experts on this forum.

How are these folks determining that 0W30 affords better protection? UOA? Disassembly of the engine and a microscopic inspection of bearing surfaces?

My guess is they are just opionions. And like [censored], everyone has one.

It's under warranty so use what it says. Once out of warranty it's probably *best* to use what it says. However, I highly doubt viscosity of a decent synthetic matters much to the engine.

It’s a super low-powered 2.0L that was designed (not back-spec’d) for 0W-20. If you want to lose a percentage or two in gas mileage, by all means run XW-30, however.

Originally Posted By: Donald

How are these folks determining that 0W30 affords better protection? UOA? Disassembly of the engine and a microscopic inspection of bearing surfaces?

My guess is they are just opionions. And like , everyone has one.

The arguments are plentiful and conflicting views create hostilities. One factor that has created alot of contention as far as justification is that the European owners manual pushes the use of 5W-30. It seems that the American manuals are the only ones specifying 0W-20. I realize that Europe does not have the CAFE requirements. Users claim that 0W-30 results in a quieter running engine. But in many cases we hear what we want to hear or don't want to hear. PERSONALLY, I use what is recommended in the manual because I'd hate to get in a warranty fight with the dealer if I have an oil-related failure.

Here is an interesting excerpt from one of the posts:

Hello everyone.

Just did my spring oil change, and after being intrigued by the high marks that 0w-30 got on the Subaru Japan oil page vs 0w-20 (more on that later) I decided I was going to drop in Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 this go around.

The engine runs exactly the same (no impact on MPGs or engine oil temps) with one huge exception - it runs quite a bit quieter. It definitely takes some of the diesel tractor sound away from these cars, which has been a goal of mine for a while now.

For those interested in the Subaru Japan comparison of 0w-30 vs 0w-20, I have translated this page for everyone:

0w-30:
High oil temperature engine protection - 4/5
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 5/5
Low temperature starting performance - 4/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 3/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 5/5

0w-20 "eco"
High oil temperature engine protection - 2/5 (yikes!)
Fuel economy - 5/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 3/5
Low temperature starting performance - 5/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 4/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 3/5

0w-20 "standard"
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 4/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 5/5

Last edited:
Dirt resistance inside the engiine? Emissions? Feel?

Sounds 100% like marketing, not the data from objective testing.

Unfortunately, you're going to get the same opinions here concerning 0W20 vs XW30, engine noise and US recommendations vs what other countries recommend as you will on the Crosstrek forum.

By Dirt Resistance, I suspect they mean deposit control. Remember the original is in Japanese and this is probably just a non-technical translation. This makes sense to me as the 0W20 oils have a lower standard (ie more deposits allowed) than a 5W30

Ref:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4693681/1
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Simple facts
* the design of the Japanese 0W20s makes them more PRONE to those issues than other oil designs
* the Japanese OEMs lobbied, successfully to have the deposit tests blown out or waived for 0W20, and 0W20 only, confirming the above.

BTW For the same car in Australia they allow you to use either 0W20 or 5W30, owners choice. It's nice how they give us the freedom of choice here without warranty issues.

Been using PP or PUP 5w30 since my first early oil change at 1,500 miles in the 2016 Outback with the FB25 engine. It will have 40,000 by next weekend. OCI every 5,000.

Chose 5w30 because it is recommended in some other countries that do not have CAFE.
Plus it is not short tripped. Usually 35+ miles twice a day at 75-80 mph.

I 'feel' it will protect a little better, but have no proof.

Originally Posted By: SR5
By Dirt Resistance, I suspect they mean deposit control. Remember the original is in Japanese and this is probably just a non-technical translation. This makes sense to me as the 0W20 oils have a lower standard (ie more deposits allowed) than a 5W30

Ref:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4693681/1
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Simple facts
* the design of the Japanese 0W20s makes them more PRONE to those issues than other oil designs
* the Japanese OEMs lobbied, successfully to have the deposit tests blown out or waived for 0W20, and 0W20 only, confirming the above.

BTW For the same car in Australia they allow you to use either 0W20 or 5W30, owners choice. It's nice how they give us the freedom of choice here without warranty issues.

Not sure anyone running 5W-30 here would ever run into warranty issues, either.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Been using PP or PUP 5w30 since my first early oil change at 1,500 miles in the 2016 Outback with the FB25 engine. It will have 40,000 by next weekend. OCI every 5,000.

Chose 5w30 because it is recommended in some other countries that do not have CAFE.

Why are you changing your oil so frequently?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: GravelRoad

Why are you changing your oil so frequently?

Why do you think 5,000 mile oci is frequent?

3,750 severe, 6,000 max per OM. Drive about a mile on dusty gravel road 5 days a week.
Also easy for me to remember.
smile.gif
No OLM in this vehicle.

Still too frequent?

For those interested in the Subaru Japan comparison of 0w-30 vs 0w-20, I have translated this page for everyone:

0w-30:
High oil temperature engine protection - 4/5
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 5/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 3/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 5/5

0w-20 "eco"
Fuel economy - 5/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 3/5
Low temperature starting performance - 5/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 4/5

0w-20 "standard"
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 4/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 5/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 3/5[/b]

+1 ...... when looking from the perspective of MOFT, which is a science nonetheless.

Last edited:
I’m a huge proponent of running thicker oil in turbo Subaru’s but I doubt there’s anything other than but dyno impressions that necessitate anything thicker than 0W-20 in a Crosstrek. Subaru Japan recommends thicker oil in hard driving in a BRZ but I doubt there is a need for a thicker oil in a Crosstrek.

If the Crosstrek forums and Subaru Japan are referring to GF5 0W-30’s, there’s very little difference in the operating viscosity of a 0W-20 and 0W-30 anyway. But the 0W-30 Euro oil from SoJ is a thick 30 grade and isn’t needed IMO.

Last edited:
Subaru engines have always seemed a bit fragile to me. This is comparing them to their Mitsubishi, Nissan, or Toyota equivalents. A thicker oil (and 5W-30 isn’t that thick...) isn’t a bad idea. If anything, it can’t hurt.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
A thicker oil (and 5W-30 isn’t that thick...) isn’t a bad idea. If anything, it can’t hurt.

I seriously doubt that it will hurt the engine. But it would hurt my wallet if for some reason there were a failure associated with the oil and the warranty voided.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
A thicker oil (and 5W-30 isn’t that thick...) isn’t a bad idea. If anything, it can’t hurt.

I seriously doubt that it will hurt the engine. But it would hurt my wallet if for some reason there were a failure associated with the oil and the warranty voided.

Fair enough. Run a good 0w-20 until the warranty is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back