Installing Delo 400 SD 15w30 today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

After a long wait I'm finally going to use some of my Delo 15w30 SD in my 4Runner today along with a TG3614 purchased from TSC for $0.25. Filter was made on the 191st day of 2013 so it's older but I'm not concerned. Oil will be used for a 5,000 mile OCI moving into summer with what's sure to be lots of idle time and in town driving on my 4Runner. For those not familiar my 4Runner is a 1987 with the 22RE and a 5sp and has (as of today) 334,971 miles on the never rebuilt engine. Outgoing oil and filter are 10w30 Rotella CK-4 and a Napa Gold 1348 that were in use for about 4,000 miles.

Excellent choice. Currently in my 6.7 SuperDuty, so I'm sure it will serve you well in your gasser.
Keep on rollin'.

Last edited:
Great oil, wish we got it here.
It must be very close to a VII free monograde, given it's based on Delo Isosyn technology, which I hear is a heavily Hydrocracked Group II+ base. It should offer you low Noack volatility and high shear stability.

It's done! Had a productive car day here today with Delo 15w30 going into the 4Runner and some Mobil 1 0w30 ESP going into the Lexus. Both will be run for a 5,000 mile interval on their respective HDEOs. The Lexus will get there first by a long shot!

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Very good oil! Great choice and outstanding service history with the 4Runner!

I love my 4Runner, the GF is considering replacing her Lexus with a 2018 TRD PRO 4Runner, I see that you have two, how do you like yours?

Originally Posted By: hatt
I wish I would have bought more when Amazon had 3 gallons for $23.

I wish that I had as well. That's when I bought the Delo 400 15w30 that I just put in my 4Runner. I've had it in waiting for a little over a year waiting to be used. However with the quantity of oil that I have on hand it's probably that I didn't buy more.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

I love my 4Runner, the GF is considering replacing her Lexus with a 2018 TRD PRO 4Runner, I see that you have two, how do you like yours?

They are excellent vehicles for less developed roadways and trails. Easy clean out and great if they are used for their purpose. They are how a 4 runner should be built, none of that extra side cladding on the body. The suspension is really well balanced with the bilstiens and external bypass in the rear, internal on the front struts. They have all the tech toys, crawl control and terrain select and the selectable locker. Meaning they will traverse anything you would reasonably take a newer model 4 runner without a problem at all.
They can handle the crumbling New mexico infrastructure pretty well too. Coming from a Lexus your gf may find them austere On the inside. Plain black synthetic leather seats that is resistant to water and mud. They are heated at least. If she week, fishes camps, travels with dogs it’s great.
Depending on the Lexus she is coming from it may be a downgrade in technology as far as radio goes, the navigation is pretty nice but does. To recognize every trail.
. The current 4 runner is on an 8year old platform, which is why I like it. Deep aftermarket support, for trail armor, suspension, interior , rooftop cargo, etc. the driveline is proven. The TRD Pro, just puts you in a good spot to use the truck, right off the lot for what it was intended. This is my 18

Last edited:
I think you'll like it
smile.gif

Keep us posted
laugh.gif

Is there not room to run a 3600?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I think you'll like it
smile.gif

Keep us posted
laugh.gif

Is there not room to run a 3600?

There's actually room for a PH-8A but the engine loves to drain down the clean side of the filter likely due to the oil draining out through the main bearings or timing chain tensioner or timing chain oiling jet on the tensioner as the filter is above all those low drain points. The larger filters take longer to fill on start up and cause timing chain noise on start up, the smaller filter either doesn't make any noise at all of only for a very short period. The filters always remain full on the dirty side but the centers drain out even on small filters. For that reason I just stick with the smaller filters when I used to run the PH-8A size exclusively. Hope all is well with you BrocLuno!

They are excellent vehicles for less developed roadways and trails. Easy clean out and great if they are used for their purpose. They are how a 4 runner should be built, none of that extra side cladding on the body. The suspension is really well balanced with the bilstiens and external bypass in the rear, internal on the front struts. They have all the tech toys, crawl control and terrain select and the selectable locker. Meaning they will traverse anything you would reasonably take a newer model 4 runner without a problem at all.
They can handle the crumbling New mexico infrastructure pretty well too. Coming from a Lexus your gf may find them austere On the inside. Plain black synthetic leather seats that is resistant to water and mud. They are heated at least. If she week, fishes camps, travels with dogs it’s great.
Depending on the Lexus she is coming from it may be a downgrade in technology as far as radio goes, the navigation is pretty nice but does. To recognize every trail.
. The current 4 runner is on an 8year old platform, which is why I like it. Deep aftermarket support, for trail armor, suspension, interior , rooftop cargo, etc. the driveline is proven. The TRD Pro, just puts you in a good spot to use the truck, right off the lot for what it was intended. This is my 18

Noticed that you're running 5/10w30 in the summer on your new 4Runner, does the manual allow or state that oils thicker than 0w20 may be suitable for extreme use severe use or towing? Some Toyota engines say that while others only recommend 0w20 all the time.

Stunning. Never seen that color before, very sexy.

Noticed that you're running 5/10w30 in the summer on your new 4Runner, does the manual allow or state that oils thicker than 0w20 may be suitable for extreme use severe use or towing? Some Toyota engines say that while others only recommend 0w20 all the time.

Actually I recently installed m1 0w40 in the 2018. Toyota allows the use of higher viscosity oils for high speed or heavy load driving in the 4Runner. A trail day in the summer means a run up to or through mountains and running 20-50 miles in 4 lo. Also potential towing.

I'm pleased so far, but that really doesn't mean much other than it didn't explode. The UOA for the previous 10w30 CK-4 Rotella T-4 is in the mail to Blackstone. The UOA for the Delo is likely to be a ways off since I only put on about 10,000 miles per year. The UOA will tell me more than any audible or seat of the pants info. Oil pressure is identical to the 10w30 it replaced no surprise there. This oil change will bring the truck to 340,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'm interested in the next UOA
laugh.gif

Unfortunately you'll probably be waiting some time. The intention is to run this oil for 5,000 miles and I've only accumulated about 1,200 miles so far. My daily commute is only about 25 miles and with all my travel for work I do t put on all that many miles. My guess would be likely this fall some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back