Walmart Auto Service - Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Walmart to have 2 tires replaced which were Carry-Ins. When I got there one guy was replacing a battery and one was doing an oil change. When them customers left an employee noticed there was a Rav4 sitting there in the bay. He must of spent 1/2 hour looking for the service papers until he gave up and decided to page the owner of the vehicle. When the customer showed up....she was [censored] when she found out they haven't even started on her vehicle yet and asked again what she wanted done. She ended up getting a Free $30 oil service out of that. Then another girl shows up to pay for an oil change and said she got the $20 oil change and was charged $30. They had to wait another 45 minutes to straighten that mess out. Well after 4 hours of waiting my tires were ready and I go and pay for them and they try charging me $30 when it shoulda been $20. I get them mounted and drive around a bit and decide to check the pressure at a gas station and one is 35 psi and the other is 40 psi when they shoulda been 30 psi. UN-BELIEVABLE...

I think I'm going to Discount Tire next time.

Out west we have Les Schwab. I would never go to WalMart. The guys st Les Schwab actually run out to you when you pull in. I’ve used them numerous times with never a complaint.

That what you get dealing with people that have no training other than OJT by others that learned the same way.
Look for a decent tire shop that has mechanics as well as tire changers, the guys on the bottom usually get somewhat of an education and a little QC from the mechanics.

I'm to the point that I'll be willing to pay a little more to go to the local mom and pop tire shops.

It's Walmart. Sometimes cheaper comes at a cost.

Recently I was in the check out line at a Walmart. The store was slammed with customers in line at every open cash register. The cashier held up one line because she did not know if an item was 77 cents or 79 cents. She sent a runner to go check the shelf for a price. Everyone waited, and waited, and waited. Customers started to abandon their carts full of stuff or just putting stuff down, anywhere or moving to another line. The cashier should have been allowed to think and give the customer the cheaper price. I'd be willing to bet that the store could recover from a 2 cent loss if the price was actually 79 cents. But cheap might apply to the employees they hire, too.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That what you get dealing with people that have no training other than OJT by others that learned the same way.

When I went there yesterday a 75 year old man, a 60 something women and a 25 year old girl were working there. Guessing there age of course.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Trav

When I went there yesterday a 75 year old man, a 60 something women and a 25 year old girl were working there. Guessing there age of course.

What's your point?

SONNY.

Guessing your age, of course.

Ahh that should be obvious... A 70 plus years old man... First off... God bless him for trying to work in the first place... That's impressive given we have a lot of late teenagers and early 20 somethings who don't work... And don't even try to work. So.. that guy deserves credit for even being there... Another thought is what is or has gone on in his life to keep him working at this time?? Bored in retirement?? Or needs some money to pay for medical or medication costs?? Or money to help pay the rent or mortgage?? And those same points could obviously be thought and stated about the 60 yr old lady working there... A lot more going on that isn't seen upon the surface.

Having said that... Candidly most people 60 plus are not going to be able to be the fleetest of foot or manage a physically demanding job but so easily. Yes of course there are numerous exceptions to that rule of thumb. I work with a fella who is 72. And he does really, really well. He works in a job that is quite physically demanding and does great. I also work with a lady who is 67 and bless her heart but she struggles a decent bit. I feel bad for her. And I also really admire and respect her as well. I help her as much as I can because I want to help make certain physical aspects of her job easier.

At Wally World you don't always get the best of the best.. Kind of like other stores in the retail world. Low pay and possible advancement is rather difficult and unlikely for an overwhelming majority of people working in that job field.

Last edited:
Who goes to Wal-mart to get their car serviced?
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you carry in tires, how are they supposed to know what pressure to set them at?

I read it as OP had tires he provided installed on his car.

Should be on one of the door frame areas Nick. That should be where one think to look... I did an oil change on a friend's Nissan... 60 Psi in right front tire and 50 psi in right rear tire.. Supposed to be 33 psi per sticker on door jamb.Stupid. Not remotely safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Should be on one of the door frame areas Nick. That should be where one think to look... I did an oil change on a friend's Nissan... 60 Psi in right front tire and 50 psi in right rear tire.. Supposed to be 33 psi per sticker on door jamb.Stupid. Not remotely safe.

Usually "carry in" means you took the rims off at home and dropped only the rims off at the shop to have the tires mounted on.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ahh that should be obvious... A 70 plus years old man... First off... God bless him for trying to work in the first place... That's impressive given we have a lot of late teenagers and early 20 somethings who don't work... And don't even try to work. So.. that guy deserves credit for even being there... Another thought is what is or has gone on in his life to keep him working at this time?? Bored in retirement?? Or needs some money to pay for medical or medication costs?? Or money to help pay the rent or mortgage?? And those same points could obviously be thought and stated about the 60 yr old lady working there... A lot more going on that isn't seen upon the surface.

Having said that... Candidly most people 60 plus are not going to be able to be the fleetest of foot or manage a physically demanding job but so easily. Yes of course there are numerous exceptions to that rule of thumb. I work with a fella who is 72. And he does really, really well. He works in a job that is quite physically demanding and does great. I also work with a lady who is 67 and bless her heart but she struggles a decent bit. I feel bad for her. And I also really admire and respect her as well. I help her as much as I can because I want to help make certain physical aspects of her job easier.

At Wally World you don't always get the best of the best.. Kind of like other stores in the retail world. Low pay and possible advancement is rather difficult and unlikely for an overwhelming majority of people working in that job field.

Good points. In many cases it’s not the workers, it’s the system or the management. On the retail front, all the big stores are the same. Lower pay and [censored] schedules. Walmart is no different than Target or Macy’s or whoever.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm to the point that I'll be willing to pay a little more to go to the local mom and pop tire shops.

In this part of Texas,

The BEST tire shops usually speak Spanish as a primary language.

I got my truck inspected at Garcia's Tire today - same exact place I've been going for the last 16 years.

In and out in less than 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you carry in tires, how are they supposed to know what pressure to set them at?

I read it as OP had tires he provided installed on his car.

Nick has a point....the vehicle wasn't there. But I was and they coulda asked or looked it up. But one tire was 35psi and the other was 40.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
In this part of Texas,

The BEST tire shops usually speak Spanish as a primary language.

200% right on!
cheers3.gif
They are always very meticulous and detail oriented.

I was in a supermarket the other day, and the bagger was 95 years old.

WW2 vet that still had some life left....cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back